First time dealing with MagSafe...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iBreatheApple, Sep 7, 2011.

1. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

It's great! I think it's an awesome piece of technology that was very well thought out.

But is anyone afraid the port is going to get dinged up when the Air slurps it in? I know a lot of people always comment saying why use keyboard covers, cases, etc., when the computer was meant to be used, but this makes me really nervous as I like keeping my devices in excellent condition.

Subthread!: I had my MagSafe plugged in to the Mac before the wall (I know, I know) and when I plugged it in there was a pretty big shock/spark, bigger than normal. My air displayed "not charging" for a split second then said charging as normal, you think it's okay?

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Don't worry about it. It's designed to be "slurped" into itself. I have a MBP from late 2006 and it's still on the original MagSafe adapter and the port it just fine. The MBP still looks and runs just as good as it did on the day I purchased it.

Relax, chill and enjoy it.:cool:

3. iBreatheApple thread starter macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I know it will run just as good, I'm just cosmetically concerned.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

There is no need to be, unless you decide to let your cat, dog or kids chew on it! Otherwise no harm will cosmetically come to it.

5. Obese Lobsters macrumors member

The only problem I had with mine was right when the power brick transitioned into the cord I bent the cord too much exposing the wiring. Of course this was my fault for not giving the cable any slack when wrapping it around the power brick. Luckily the Apple Store replaced the power brick for me.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The ports on the white MacBook get dingy from the adapter. Not sure that's an issue with the unibody.

The old T adapter had a fraying issue but the new L design has a very thick collar to prevent that.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I replaced my 2006 machine earlier this year but I too didn't have any problems with it :)

The new L-shaped adapter, on the other hand, is easier to plug in at the wrong angle. Go figure.

8. summitRun macrumors regular

Good point...I just wrapped mine tight for the first time and realized how fragile that particular spot could be. Otherwise I am loving the small footprint of the Magsafe...esp. in comparison to my ThinkPad power brick, which is a giant PIA:( I didn't think much about the Magsafe when I bought my MBA but I honestly think its one of the best features (among many) that Apple has designed :apple:

9. Roller macrumors 68020

What do you mean by "wrong angle?" I see no difference if I plug it in with the cord facing the front of the computer or the back - it charges fine either way.

10. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Leave a little slack when you wrap the cord on the adapter and you'll be fine. You have nothing to worry about on the Air side - no damage will occur.

11. jdechko macrumors 68040

I usually pull a loop of about 1-2 finger widths away from the block before I start wrapping the cable to keep the joint from stressing. I agree that this is probably the biggest point of failure on the redesigned magsafes. The angled bracket did a lot to reduce failures at the computer end of the connection.

12. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

Meh, my Thinkpad T60 PSU (60W) is the same volume as a 65W MBP PSU... Of course comparing a 90W Thinkpad PSU to a 45W MBA PSU is unfair...

After 14 months on a MBP, the power connector area is sligtly used, but I wouldn't call it "worn"

13. AlecEdworthy macrumors 6502

AlecEdworthy

Magnetically attached != electrically attached

Correct, but it is quite easy to get it to magnetically attach but not quite make electrical contact meaning it looks attached but doesn't charge. I've done it a few times myself and all you have to do is train yourself to watch it for a few seconds to check the charging light comes on.

Alec

14. summitRun macrumors regular

nuff said...

Which one would you like to put in your bag...:D

Attached Files:

15. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I haven't had that issue on my MacBook.

16. minnus macrumors 6502

lol, thats not fair - you can coil the cords from the IBM brick. that being said, my bag is currently holding both (though a much smaller version of the brick).

17. jeffgao macrumors newbie

I got the same thing happened several times. The top side of the magnetic attached but the bottom side stuck at the edge of the computer body. This looked like a good contact if viewed from top but actually it is not.