first time i hear my rMBP fans... converting video

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WhiteIphone5, Mar 9, 2013.

1. WhiteIphone5 macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

hey guys so im converting a movie to mp4 for my lil bro until i heard the fans go loud. matter of fact it is still going on as im typing.

for the performance of this 2k+ machine, i dont expect for the fans to come on for a simple "video conversion"

Attached Files:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's quite normal. If not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on the sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. It can be downloaded here.

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If high demands are consistently put on the system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just the Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for a Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so the heat is more easily felt on surfaces. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

The fans are always on when a Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

If the fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.
    (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow the computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:

3. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Simple? Video conversion is quite CPU intensive.

People use this forum to complain about the oddest things...

4. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

I didn't know. I'm not really complaining or at least didn't mean to sound like I was. I love my my machine. I think to rephrase the question would be " why are my rMBP fans going high on a video coversion.

5. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Like he said ^

Video conversion is not simple at all, no matter how small the video it is. It is a very CPU intensive task.

I can guarantee you even a 3k+ desktop will have it's fans turn on with a video conversion.

Edit: it's a blueray too :p
    http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=628285. <--- the first reply

6. AFDoc macrumors 68030

OK, thanks for letting us know.

What you want is a fantasy computer that does not exist. Any video conversion will fire up the fans on pretty much any device. Maybe not a water cooled system but typically it will.

7. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Thank you for making it clear :)

8. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Relax, what the attitude for?

The guy didnt know encoding is CPU intensive. Educate him so he knows and teaches other instead of being an ass

9. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

Fair enough! And sorry for jumping to conclusions.

To rephrase my statement, video encoding and transcoding is relatively demanding on the CPU and the fans kicking in to keep it cool is normal.

10. WhiteIphone5 thread starter macrumors 65816

WhiteIphone5

Gotcha, thanks bro :)

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

There are only two, highly CPU intensive Applications that make my new iMacs fans audible...One is Make MKV, the other is Handbrake..Perfectly normal and this machine is a powerful animal...Maxed out 3TB Fusion, 3,4GHZ CPU 2GB GPU, etc.

Ripping video is as posted a very CPU intensive task...Frankly, I'd be worried if I didn't hear the fans.

Only X-Plane 10 will also occasionally cause the fans to rev up....In photo and video work such as edits etc, they remain stubbornly quiet!