Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I'am looking to buy an iPad for uni as a laptop is harder to take in bed when i'am doing late night homework just have couple questions the iPhone with 4g needs a sim card right. Is there any benefits in the 4g model in comparison to the standard wi fi model? to justify the cost.

monkeylui

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
A Galaxy far, far away
If you have regular access to wifi I don't see a need for the 4g model. I chose wifi only because I work from home & therefore don't need to use the 4g. Now if I was traveling on business a lot then I might chose the 4g. But again, I'm around wifi all of the time. So I say look at your specific use case.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
One pays a huge premium for the inclusion of a simple cellular module. Unless price is no object, and you are far away from wifi HotSpots, it seems that having both types of connectivity is excessive. Especially since true 4G is still a limited technology.

RRoku702

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2011
Kailua
hahaha some would have to say that seriously it easier to take a iPad to bed than a macbook.

I use both for homework. I use the iPad to read like ebook. I find it easier that way. The only thing you couldn’t do on a iPad is open multiple windows at the same time. I mean you can but you can’t have them side by side. When you exit one app to go to the other app. You didn’t technically close the previous app. I hope you got what I was trying to say. Hmmm, haha maybe not yet. Soon you will know what Im talking about. Ok, I know I said a little to much. yeah!

seajay96

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
The GPS receiver is integrated into the cellular modem circuit card. So, to have GPS, you have to have a 3g or 4g model, but you don't necessarily have to pay for a data plan.

LagunaJosh

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2012
4G will be really nice

I have been a WiFi (only) iPad owner for the past few years. It's fine... but there does feel like a shift in the market recently -- where ubiquitous iPad Internet service is starting to be in higher demand. You certainly do NOT need 4G in bed... but if you travel (even if you just travel locally) it is really really nice to be able to connect all the time. Say you are a game player, a map user, a quick responder on e-mail... all of these things make having the 4G service really nice. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.