All iPads First time iPad buying advice coming from Kindle Fire

Discussion in 'iPad' started by acidburn, Jan 3, 2014.

1. acidburn macrumors member

I'm interested in opinions on experiences using amazon services on the ipad. I have had a Kindle fire for just over a year and use a lot of amazon products like books and instant video. I have found myself using my laptop less and less and am wanting to eventually hand it down to one of my kids. I have access to a desktop computer so I think a tablet for most days would be adequate and easier to deal with.
    Given this I want something that I can do some work with like managing finances and paying bills. I have the 7 inch fire and definitely want more real estate but not necessarily a lot so I am open to the mini. I am tempted by the new fires but my main problem is that Amazon does not let last year's models upgrade their OS. This is one big reason for considering the ipad as I think I would be able to use it longer.
    Any advice on experiences using Amazon's services on the ipad? I am not averse to using iTunes as well. Any other thoughts from those making this change from a fire to ipad?
    Thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Since Amazon removed the in-app purchase of books in their iOS kindle app, it makes buying books more cumbersome then it ought. For a number of reasons I choose iBooks, ease of purchase is one reason.

I think if you are planning on using Amazon services and content then their tablet will be better. The iPad like the iPhone really excels when you use Apple's services, like iCloud, iTunes etc.

3. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

When you get your iPad, register it as a new device on Amazons website. Then you use your browser to buy books and select the ipad in the drop down, and select send to ipad. Then you use the Kindle app to read your books or to download past purchases.

Amazon Instant works much the same. Buy your videos using the browser, then view them with the app. Prime video and video you have purchased prior will show up in the app already.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Generic answers for a generic question: Amazon's services seem to work well enough on ipad.

Although I'm pretty deep into the iOS/OSX platform, for ebooks I've stayed with the Kindle platform. Primary reason is portability; Kindle format works across many different devices and I keep an old eInk kindle2 for beach trips. Bonus reason is that my local public library (remember those?) lends ebooks in Kindle format.

Yes, for buying books you do need to go to the browser; not a big deal for me. I prefer looking for books via browser (ipad or computer) anyway, plus most books I read are borrowed. Also, much of my reading is a monthly short-stories magazine (nearly all text).

Videos? I don't do much video but do watch some Amazon Prime Instant Video. App works fine. Bonus: it will stream video to AppleTV.

Music? No idea. I've bought some mp3s from Amazon in the past and just added them to iTunes.

5. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I say you should definitely get an iPad. I love the the 9.7 inch screen on the air. But your have been using a 7 inch kindle fire and might be happier with an 7.9 inch iPad mini. Doesn't matter what iPad you go with you'll be happy with it.

6. BasicGreatGuy, Jan 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2014

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I had the first gen Kindle Fire and recently purchased the iPad Air. I would hate to go back to the Kindle Fire.

One can be a consumer of Amazon products very easy on the iPad. And if you want to be able to surf the web quickly and have access to thousands of quality apps etc., I believe the iPad is the route to go.

7. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

Similar to you, I bought the Kindle Fire when it first came out because I thought for $200 bucks, it was worth a look. My family still uses it, but sparingly after we bought our iPad 3, and most recently a retina Mini.

In Amazon's defense, they managed to do quite a lot with this first gen tablet and customize Android OS. In fact, I think it might be even more user-friendly as I just bought my parents (nearing 80) a Kindle HDX because I think it had the right combo of apps, content, and support that would be good for them. If they were a bit more tech-savvy and sure to really use it, I would have definitely bought them an iPad Air.

For you, it sounds like you could benefit from a better tablet, and as an owner of a Kindle Fire and an Amazon Prime member myself, I would suggest the retina Mini, but ONLY if you are used to carrying around your Fire. The Air is definitely totable and usable with one hand, but you will need to carry it in a bag of some sort when you're out and about. That isn't necessarily a big deal, but doing that with my iPad 3 really drove me into the arms of a retina Mini. I loved our Kindle's portability, but I wanted our iPad 3's content options. I'm able to do everything I could do with the Fire on my mini -- and then some. The screen will also be a huge plus for you as it is so much higher resolution than what you've been using.

As other folks have noted, the iPad integration with Amazon content isn't as simple as the Kindle, but Amazon won't hobble the experience too much given how many more customers they can have supporting iPad, Kindle AND Android tablets. Take the plunge -- you'll never look back.

8. donnaw macrumors 65816

I have both the iPad Air and the new HDX 7". The iPad Amazon app for music (iCloud player), Prime Instant Video, and of course the Lindle work great. I buy all my music from Amazon, mostly because iPads are the only Apple devices I have and Amazon still is so cross-platform I don't have to worry. I buy TV and movies from both because you can't mirror to your TV via the dongle as you can with itunes purchases. This doesn't bother me much since I mostly watch them when I travel and don't need to mirror. Amazon 'says' it's coming but I'm not holding my breath.

The biggest differences are that with a Kindle device you can borrow books directly from Amazon (only one a month but still...), and you can actually download Prime Instant videos to watch later - not streaming. This option isn't available on non-Kindle devices, i.e. an iPad.

If those differences aren't a big deal then fine. If you're used to doing either then I suggest you keep the Kindle handy those times. Other than that iPads are much more versatile and I'm sure you will enjoy owning one.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

FYI, Apple dropped DRM for music about five years ago. Used to be that AAC format wasn't supported much, but these days it seems fairly common with a few exceptions (Amazon Cloud Music being one :confused:)

Amazon Prime Instant Videos do play on TV via AirPlay to an Apple TV device. $75 for a refurb isn't as cheap as a $35 Chromecast, but it also does give a bit more functionality.

Nice. Did not know that.

10. donnaw macrumors 65816

I know all of this. But even with the DRM removed it's still much less complicated to have your music with Amazon since they have apps for all platforms. No jumping through hoops to get it out of the Apple garden. The DRM existence (or not) isn't the only obstacle. I'm platform agnostic and happen to own at least one of each. I have a windows phone, an iPad, a Kindle, two android tablets, and a couple of windows PC. Amazon's cloud is better than having to put music in several places.

Yes prime instant videos do play via Apple TV but notice all I said was you can't mirror via the dongle.

11. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I don't think the purchasing of Amazon/Kindle material is all that difficult at all. I went away from iBooks because of the DRM on the books. Much easier to purchase books on Kindle and use across devices. I have a work and personal iTunes account and it's real difficult getting books onto my iPad from both accounts. So...I use my Amazon account and I'm all set. I have a home screen shortcut to: http://amazon.com/iPadKindleStore/ and it acts as an app to the Kindle Store. Works great for me!

12. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I agree, it's much cleaner to use amazon books than to get roped into iBooks. I don't mind having to hit the website to get new kindle books. Heck, browsing the web is a major task for any tablet so what's the big deal? ;)

13. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I have a Kindle paperwhite wifi only and the rMini iPad. I read almost exclusively on the Kindle because it is so much easier on the eyes, but I buy my books for the Kindle using the iPad or computer. Any purchase I make for the Kindle is easily downloaded on my iPads as well using the Kindle App, but I can't speak for their other services. I have the Kindle Fire HD and the iPad mini is so much better for e-mail, web surfing etc. One thing that is better about the Kindle HD though is using text to speech which can't be done on the iPad. That was my main reason for purchasing the Kindle HD as I like to listen to books in the car. The sound on the Kindle Fire is much better in general.

14. acidburn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice-
    I think that if I can basically get access to my content on an ipad then that would be the best course as it will be more versatile going forward.
    My main problems with the Fire are lack of apps (side loading is an option but kind of a pain) and the fact that they don't let you update the OS every year when they come out with a new one. Someone mentioned the ability to download prime instant videos but that is a feature only available to those who buy the current models. I bugged Amazon's customer support on this just to add one more vote. But it's frustrating to see new features come out and not be able to get any of them and I don't want a new tablet every year. At least Apple lets folks update to the latest iOS version for a pretty decent number of cycles.
    Now I need to think about which size and I'll probably have to go try them out in the store a bit more.
    Thanks!

15. lynn5707 macrumors member

I was debating too whether to go Kindle or get another iPad. I bought the Air in November when Target had a trade in. We basically use Apple products, but also Amazon. Anyway, I had purchased 7" hdx, and 8.9 hd, long story. They were both Ok. I had 1st generation mini but hadn't used since I bought Air, and thought it was harder to see well on mini. I gave mini to my daughter. I went to Best Buy last night to check out Kindle 8.9 hdx and ended up getting r-mini.

While the kindle was nice, I use medical apps, and kept thinking of "work a rounds" for it. Then I saw there was only $20 diff for 16, and $70 for 32, which is what I bought. It just seems like I will get more bang for my buck.

Also FYI, if you are a prime member, there are movies that can be downloaded on iPad app. The download is only good for a set amount of time, and the number of downloads are limited. That is whether it is kindle or iPad.

Good luck! I love both my iPads! Kindles were shipped back today. :)