First time iPad owner....question

Discussion in 'iPad' started by maddux2005, Apr 25, 2012.

1. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Alright, so I've owned an iPhone since June 2007. Now I have a 4S and I look forward to the next iterations.

But since the iPad released 2 years ago, I've always considered getting one. My friend upgraded to the new iPad and decided to sell his original one. He said he would sell it to me for $200. It's a 1st gen 64gb+ 3G model, has a nice leather case and the original box etc

This deal was too good to pass up. I had considered dropping the $700+ tax for a new iPad 64gb model.....but for $200...I thought this will suffice for now. I refuse to have less then a 64gb model.

Ok, well after messing around for a couple hours last night. I'm very impressed. It's on iOS 5.1 and I've setup my iCloud etc. this thing is surprisingly speedy. I expected it to be slow since its older and I'm used to a 4S, but to my surprise it zips along rather well.

I installed a few games like Max Payne and a few others that were universal and I already had purchased on my iPhone. They were FAR easier to play on this huge screen. Everything I do on my iPad just seems "better". There's more real estate so I get more information and it just looks fantastic. I found myself glancing at my iPhone to text etc and thinking "man my iPhone looks so small and the icons are cramped".

The iPad just seems so "free" so to speak. The big screen really does make a huge difference. My iPhone is still king, because it goes everywhere with me and fits in my pocket. But my iPad will get 98% of the home usage I can see. Netflix looks fantastic on it. Just simply browsing around was quite a pleasant experience on this thing.

My question now is, what iPad only apps have I missed? What's some must have apps out there?

2. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

well a few I like a universal but:

Flipboard, Snapseed, Draw Something, (a few comics I cannot think of right now) Paprika (recipes), Heck even MoroTobi is a fun book (geared toward Toddlers but is still neat).

can't think of any others just yet. iPads at home.

3. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

It depends what you use your iPad for. I use mine mostly for school.

In my case, Pages, good reader and dropbox are a must. Find my iPhone is great for any iOS device. What do you intend to use your iPad for?

4. maddux2005 thread starter macrumors 6502

Games, Internet browsing, movies, etc

Nothing too crazy. But I do love me some games. I find the bigger screen far better suited for games. After 5 years of iPhone gaming, and then 2 hours with an iPad there's no doubt it's better for gaming.

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I think Dropbox/Box.net are a must simply for extra cloud storage. Box gives you 50GB of online storage so it's too good to pass up. Even if you don't use it or use it a lot, nice to know you have some extra space available if needed.

As for games, like you, I've been used to iPhone gaming for the past 2/3 years so the bigger screen is highly welcomed at this point.

If you like RTS games, i recommend Command and Conquer: Red alert HD
    Bejeweled Blitz is a nice one if you need to kill a couple minutes. Integrates with FB so you can compete with your friends as well.
    Family Feud, while somewhat dumb is still quite entertaining.
    I like golfing games so I have Let's Golf 3, Worms Golf HD and Superstickman golf. All three are quite enjoyable.

And you need classics like Monopoly, Uno and some solitaire/mahjong game as well.

6. playerout macrumors newbie

If you use it for work, reading news and taking notes and memos., those are the best three for me
    Dropbox
    Evernote
    Instapaper

If you dedicate to games...well..I have some difficulties in choosing the best games..BUT..given the situation...I'll choose three:
    Infinity Blade (no need to comment why :) )
    Sword & Sworcery (likewise)
    Draw Something (this is a funny but childish game...but I get so much satisfaction from drawing on the Ipad screen that I started to love this app madly!!! :D )

7. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Not a game but, Brian Cox "Wonders of the Universe" app is incredible.

He based here in the UK and is a very Intelligent bloke. If science and the universe isn't you thing that you're probably best to avoid it but I have to say its pretty amazing.

8. StevenT42 macrumors 6502

Welcome to the world if iPad! That's a great price for a 64gig/3G unit. Most sell for $300 or more on eBay.

The best Apps I've got are iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, Pages, iBooks, Amazon Kindle, Netflix, Flixter, Apple Trailers, Angry Birds HD, Cut the Rope, Frotz, Monopoly, Plants vs. Zombies HD, Ticket to Ride, Flipboard, USA Today, Pandora, The Elements (expensive, but worth it), IMDb, Tapatalk, Twitter, Dropbox, iTeleport, and Remote.

9. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

First of all, congrats on the purchase. I sold my 64gig wifi ipad 1 for $325, so you definitely got a great deal.

For games, keep in mind that some games tend to crash on the ipad 1 due to its low RAM (only 256mb), so do your research before you purchase anything expensive. For instance, IB, gta3, and dungeon defenders crashed insessantly on my ipad 1.

Here are some great titles (mostly ipad exclusives) that should run well:

Incoboto
    Kingdom Rush
    Avadon
    World of Goo
    Aquaria
    LandGrabbers
    Flight Control

And make sure you pick up some 4-player same-device titles. They're great fun for family/friends gathering or goofing around in class:

Achtung
    Multiponk
    King of Opera
    Ticket to ride
    Slice HD (brilliant coop)

10. maddux2005 thread starter macrumors 6502

Some great suggestions so far guys. I'll try them out! I'm just loving the iPad right now. It really is a treat to simply surf the web and fire up a game on this device. It makes me look at my iPhone 4S as an inferior toy afterwards :p

I figured at the price I just couldn't pass it up. But I certainly will be upgrading to a new iPad shortly. Just wanted to see if I even enjoyed using the iPad first, even though I knew I would.

But no complaints thus far on this thing, I expected it to be a bit sluggish since its a 1st gen and has 256mb of ram, but I've not had any issues. Shadowgun runs great as well as the others I've tested.

The web browser is just a treat to use. Just browsing around on this screen and playing videos in the browser all works very nicely.

11. karmamule macrumors 6502a

karmamule

As far as news-aggregator apps go, Zite is my favorite.