Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaPizzaMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
I decided on a bit of a whim to purchase an iPad Air for recreational use: movies, gaming (emulation), browsing, etc.

1. Any tips/tricks for someone who's relatively familiar with iOS? I've used iPads in the past, just never owned my own. I'm familiar with the basic multi-tasking features and such.
2. Thoughts on getting a screen protector? I probably won't be taking it out of the house much, if at all.
3. Thoughts on a case? Budget is ~$50.

Looking forward to seeing how this thing works as my "in bed" device.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I decided on a bit of a whim to purchase an iPad Air for recreational use: movies, gaming (emulation), browsing, etc.

1. Any tips/tricks for someone who's relatively familiar with iOS? I've used iPads in the past, just never owned my own. I'm familiar with the basic multi-tasking features and such.
2. Thoughts on getting a screen protector? I probably won't be taking it out of the house much, if at all.

Did you purchase the newest iPad Air?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Congrats on your first iPad! A good starting point is the official iPad User’s Guide from Apple. Feel free to ask questions here or in the iOS 14 forum depending on whether it’s a hardware or software question.

Reactions: DaPizzaMan

DaPizzaMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Congrats on your first iPad! A good starting point is the official iPad User’s Guide from Apple. Feel free to ask questions here or in the iOS 14 forum depending on whether it’s a hardware or software question.

Thanks! :) No offense at all - I do appreciate the advice - but I'm not technologically illiterate so I don't think the things mentioned in this guide would be catered towards me so much. I'll check it out nonetheless.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Thanks! :) No offense at all - I do appreciate the advice - but I'm not technologically illiterate so I don't think the things mentioned in this guide would be catered towards me so much. I'll check it out nonetheless.
Yeah, I only noticed after posting you’ve been on MR since 2016. Also missed that you had used iPads before … sorry.

DaPizzaMan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
I must be behind the times. Is it possible to emulate on the current version of iPadOS?
Delta / AltStore has been working for me on iOS 14.6. I'm pretty sure it's either working or going to be working on the current version of iPad OS (soon).

Reactions: bsamcash

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
For me, I wanted the freedom to use the iPad with the least amount of protection but to also avoid scratches. So I use the iPad with a film screen protector along with Dbrands skins on the back and sides. This gives me the lightest option when off the magic keyboard. My favorite film screen protectors are either Elecom if you prefer the matte/anti glare or Power Support for a crystal clear option.

When traveling I use either my zippered tomtoc pouch or the Nedrelow magic sleeve.

Caviar_X

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
The only protection you need is the Folio case since you won't be taking outside often. It's lightweight and sleek. It is priced rather extraordinary high though at $99. I'd also get Apple Care.

Branaghan

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2019

A screen protector is the worst idea EVER in my opinion. First you will ruin the anti-reflective coating and will risk ruining your touch screen by making less responsive (and this could possibly be bad for the Apple Pencil as well). Second you will likely ruin image quality because of course it's not the same compared to a naked screen without this.

And third you need to pay someone to apply and it needs to be a really good job (I tried to do this and lost money because this crap glued into itself). Finally if you decide to take it away you can't do this easily and I bet the removal will not be good for your device.

My advice? First: buy (without question) a smart cover suited for your iPAD/size. Cover the front and back.

That's not all: the best advice EVER is to buy a microfiber cleaning cloth for electronics. NEVER use any other because over the years your iPAD will show signs of age, clearly. And will for sure risk scratching the screen. Never use anything but water to clean the dirt which resists to this cloth when it's dry (and just a little).

Of all the cleaning cloths I bought so far I think this one is the best: Brand: JPCase. You can find by typing "Microfiber Cleaning Cloth for Electronic Devices (5-Pack)". It's black. I always bring one with me and looking at my iPAD which is more than 3 years old you would think it's brand new.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
A screen protector is the worst idea EVER in my opinion. First you will ruin the anti-reflective coating and will risk ruining your touch screen by making less responsive (and this could possibly be bad for the Apple Pencil as well). Second you will likely ruin image quality because of course it's not the same compared to a naked screen without this.

And third you need to pay someone to apply and it needs to be a really good job (I tried to do this and lost money because this crap glued into itself). Finally if you decide to take it away you can't do this easily and I bet the removal will not be good for your device.

My advice? First: buy (without question) a smart cover suited for your iPAD/size. Cover the front and back.

That's not all: the best advice EVER is to buy a microfiber cleaning cloth for electronics. NEVER use any other because over the years your iPAD will show signs of age, clearly. And will for sure risk scratching the screen. Never use anything but water to clean the dirt which resists to this cloth when it's dry (and just a little).

Of all the cleaning cloths I bought so far I think this one is the best: Brand: JPCase. You can find by typing "Microfiber Cleaning Cloth for Electronic Devices (5-Pack)". It's black. I always bring one with me and looking at my iPAD which is more than 3 years old you would think it's brand new.
Applying a screen protector (in and of itself) does not ruin the oleophobic coating.

If one purchases a quality screen protector, there usually isn't any problems with response or reflection. What you are describing happens a lot from the cheap, no name plastic protectors that are a dime a dozen on Amazon.

Removing a screen protector is very easy and generally doesn't leave anything behind. I don't know where you have been getting your screen protectors from in the past but, your information is innaccurate.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015

You will love the device. As for a screen protector I’ve never used one on any device and I’ve had practically every iPhone since the original as well almost every ipad, currently 5th gen 12.9 iPP, and never had a problem. But I’ve also always used a case. The Apple folio case is ridiculously expensive. There are several 3rd party versions that are identical, look just as good and work just as well, it’s a very simple design. ESR makes a version as well as Bokeer, which I have, both available on Amazon for $25-$30. Both very nice.

However if you want the pinnacle of cases that offers far more versatility and protection, and absolutely perfect for bed use or any other setting I highly recommend this one which many on this forum have purchased. Its currently $59.99.

Bea220

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2020
SoCal
Hi all! I’m not trying to highjack this thread but I also don’t want to make a new one. I am a first time iPad owner as well and I’m coming from a 2013 MBP.

I found out the hard way that the only way I can sync music is if I’m signed up with Apple Music. I seriously didn’t realize that that was the only reason all of my iTunes music showed up on my iPad (silly, I know). Apple offered Apple Music for a month for free so I went for it. Well I canceled it yesterday and was given the reality check that the only way Apple will allow me to sync my Music is if I pay them $10 a month for it.

I am not an Apple Music person… I have always maintained my ripped/purchased music in iTunes and transferred it over to my iPhone manually. I don’t care for music streaming services as I’m one of those folks that cherishes her personal library. Is there a way I can connect my iPad in the same manner as my iPhone to drag music into it? (This is where my age truly starts to show). Given I’m incredibly unfamiliar with iPads I don’t know if it’s possible to connect my 2021 iPad Pro to my ancient MBP and drag music into like I would my phone.

Is this possible to do? If so, what kind of cable/adapter do I need?

Any feedback is appreciated.
(and now you know why I didn’t want to make a new thread on this. Because DUMB. haha)

Expos of 1969

Suspended
Aug 25, 2013

Screen protector........No
Case......No, especially Apple ones due to the ridiculous prices they charge.

Reactions: Bea220

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Hi all! I’m not trying to highjack this thread but I also don’t want to make a new one. I am a first time iPad owner as well and I’m coming from a 2013 MBP.

I found out the hard way that the only way I can sync music is if I’m signed up with Apple Music. I seriously didn’t realize that that was the only reason all of my iTunes music showed up on my iPad (silly, I know). Apple offered Apple Music for a month for free so I went for it. Well I canceled it yesterday and was given the reality check that the only way Apple will allow me to sync my Music is if I pay them $10 a month for it.

I am not an Apple Music person… I have always maintained my ripped/purchased music in iTunes and transferred it over to my iPhone manually. I don’t care for music streaming services as I’m one of those folks that cherishes her personal library. Is there a way I can connect my iPad in the same manner as my iPhone to drag music into it? (This is where my age truly starts to show). Given I’m incredibly unfamiliar with iPads I don’t know if it’s possible to connect my 2021 iPad Pro to my ancient MBP and drag music into like I would my phone.

Is this possible to do? If so, what kind of cable/adapter do I need?

Any feedback is appreciated.
(and now you know why I didn’t want to make a new thread on this. Because DUMB. haha)

I’m guessing your current laptop doesn’t have a USB-C port? An adapter with your existing cable should work. The transfer method should be the same as on iPhone.

Bea220

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2020
SoCal
I’m guessing your current laptop doesn’t have a USB-C port? An adapter with your existing cable should work. The transfer method should be the same as on iPhone.

Exactly right! (my MBP is from 2013 - pretty sure it doesn’t have a USB-C port unless I’m way more clueless than I think - heh) Thanks so very much… you’re always incredibly helpful on these forums and I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I’m going to order this adapter today. I’m happier getting to pick and choose my personal music and avoid having to pay $10 a month for AM’s “convenience”. I have a 512GB iPad which is way too much memory for me so I’m happy to load it up with some music. ?

Reactions: Broadus

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
@papbot I got the ESR case. Arriving on Thursday.

The iPad arrived today! Waiting to try it out when I get home. :)
You will like the case a lot as well. Looks good, feels good in the hand and offers at least as much protection as the Apple one. I already have the Smart Keyboard Folio from Apple. No way was I going to spend another $100 on something I only occasionally use when I take the iPP off the keyboard case and is only worth about $50 tops. I love Apple products but that one is truly ridiculously priced.

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
You will love the device. As for a screen protector I’ve never used one on any device and I’ve had practically every iPhone since the original as well almost every ipad, currently 5th gen 12.9 iPP, and never had a problem. But I’ve also always used a case. The Apple folio case is ridiculously expensive. There are several 3rd party versions that are identical, look just as good and work just as well, it’s a very simple design. ESR makes a version as well as Bokeer, which I have, both available on Amazon for $25-$30. Both very nice.

However if you want the pinnacle of cases that offers far more versatility and protection, and absolutely perfect for bed use or any other setting I highly recommend this one which many on this forum have purchased. Its currently $59.99.

That looks like a very nice case, but the pictures reveal that it covers the power button, which would not be good for the Air 4 with its TouchID. So the case is probably meant for the Pro and also happens to fit the Air. That’s too bad because I was considering it until I noticed that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.