First time iPhone buyer - HELP!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bad03xtreme, Oct 17, 2011.

?

Wich iPhone should a newbie get?

Poll closed Oct 27, 2011.
  1. iPhone 3Gs

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. iPhone 4

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  3. iPhone 4S

13 vote(s)
    86.7%
  1. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

I am looking to get an iPhone for the first time, this will be my first smartphone period. Now I use very little min. and I assume I will be the same way with data usage. I will use this to check email and surf web occasionally. I really want a camera and video camera for random kid videos/pics when out with family.

I am on Verizon now but am not adverse to switching carriers to better suit my needs, they all get similar coverage in my area. Now since I have never used a smartphone before should I just get a 3Gs for free or go with a iPhone 4 or the 4S?

ATT, Verizon, Sprint?

Any advice is appreciated.

2. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Might as well go all out and get the iPhone 4S!

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Get the 4S for sure. The carrier depends on your location. Check with coworkers, friends etc. Find out which one gives the best coverage for you. If they are all the same (unlikely) then go with ATT for higher speeds, data and voice at the same time etc. :cool:

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

1) Keep in mind that despite the fact you use very little data/min you will still be charged a LOT
    2) iph3gs vs iph4 vs iph4s:
    Really I would be hesitant to buy an iPhone 3gs, if you are on a 2 year term by the time your plan is done you will be using a 5 year old phone. Over 2 years is 100$ that much? I would suggest your get the 4 if your needs are not that great, The 4's camera is much better and that is worth the 100 $ Imo. If you want the 4s it is up to you but keep in mind... the 3gs is still getting updates well the 3g is not.

3) Sprint has very slow speeds, so I would probably not use them .ATT is probably the most experienced, and the fastest. Verizon is pretty good
    Just my 2 cents tho

6. Gage macrumors regular

Might as well go 4s if you're getting an iPhone.
    As far as carriers, I'm on Verizon, but that's because AT&T & Sprint have bad coverage issues where I live. I have to say though, I haven't had any issues with Verizon.

7. bad03xtreme thread starter macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

Thanks, I am in the Washington DC Metro area so all carriers have decent coverage. I have had Sprint and Verizon but like I said I am not under contract so I am not adverse to switching.

So I should just shell out the $100 more and get the 4S? I saw Verizon is offering the 16GB 4 for $149.00 but I figured at that point spend $50 more for the 4S but I am no expert here. :eek:

8. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

It depends... 50$ over 2 years is not that much and tbh it is quite possible that there will be a quad core phone by then.. so I would get that one if you are comftorable with the price point.