First time iPhone user - have a few questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sviato, Dec 14, 2010.

1. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Hello,

Later this week I plan to purchase a new iPhone 4(in canada if this matters at all). This will be my first iPhone (currently using a motorola krzr for the past 2.5 years) and I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer to make the transition to the new phone as smooth as possible.

The only Apple product that I currently own is a 5 and a half year old iPod Mini which is in great condition and is serving me well (unlike my motorola phone which has really been failing lately lol).

My first concert is the battery life of the iPhone and I've heard both praise and complaints about it. Currently I use my iPod Mini and my phone every day. The phone I charge every 2-3 days usually as I mainly text and do maybe 1-2 calls a day on average. The iPod I need to charge more often and I use it more heavily than my phone; I'm always listening to music when commuting to work and school, at home when using the computer or doing things around the house, and at work I usually listen 6-8 hours at a time during my shift.

So pretty much now that I'll be using 1 device for both music and phone use (or at least I hope I'll be able to), how often can I expect to need to recharge the battery? Would it last me at least a full day with moderate phone and ipod usage?

Also, what's useful about the iPod Mini is that I can clip it on my belt and pause/play music, or change the volume with ease. For the iPhone, being that there are only the 2 volume buttons, would I have to take out my phone out of my pocket, unlock it, and change or pause the music like this, or is it possible to configure the volume buttons so that like if I press one of them twice it'll skip songs etc ? A friend of mine mentioned some special headphones you can buy to facilitate this, anyone know how this works?

Another issue which I think I may come across is iTunes. My current iTunes is configured for my iPod. Is it possible to install a 2nd client of iTunes for use with the iPhone? I may still need to use the iPod for dirtier jobs around the house (doing renovations) where it might not be safe to bring out the iPhone so I would want to be able to separately sync music to each device. Is this possible?

I've also heard about how great (and not so great) multitasking is with the new iOS 4. The only type of multitasking that I think I'd like to have is to be able to listen to the iPod function of the phone while browsing websites, playing games or texting on the phone. Is this possible with the current implementation of multitasking?

Sorry for the long post, but one more question: jailbreaking. According to my friends, if I jailbreak I can get a bunch of apps for free and configure my device however I want. I've looked into the app store and found some apps that I would like and wouldn't mind paying for them. If I do buy these apps and later jailbreak my phone, would they be lost, or could I keep 2 separate states with my regular apps and jb apps and switch between them whenever I want?

Thanks for reading

2. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Hello,

Later this week I plan to purchase a new iPhone 4(in canada if this matters at all). This will be my first iPhone (currently using a motorola krzr for the past 2.5 years) and I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer to make the transition to the new phone as smooth as possible.

The only Apple product that I currently own is a 5 and a half year old iPod Mini which is in great condition and is serving me well (unlike my motorola phone which has really been failing lately lol).

My first concert is the battery life of the iPhone and I've heard both praise and complaints about it. Currently I use my iPod Mini and my phone every day. The phone I charge every 2-3 days usually as I mainly text and do maybe 1-2 calls a day on average. The iPod I need to charge more often and I use it more heavily than my phone; I'm always listening to music when commuting to work and school, at home when using the computer or doing things around the house, and at work I usually listen 6-8 hours at a time during my shift.

So pretty much now that I'll be using 1 device for both music and phone use (or at least I hope I'll be able to), how often can I expect to need to recharge the battery? Would it last me at least a full day with moderate phone and ipod usage?

Depends on how much you use the iPhone, if you're going to be like me and use the phone all day, like browsing the web, music, app store, itunes, downloading apps, gaming, news, etc, then you most likely will have to charge it every day with a little battery left like 15-20%, also depends on 3G usage and such.

Also, what's useful about the iPod Mini is that I can clip it on my belt and pause/play music, or change the volume with ease. For the iPhone, being that there are only the 2 volume buttons, would I have to take out my phone out of my pocket, unlock it, and change or pause the music like this, or is it possible to configure the volume buttons so that like if I press one of them twice it'll skip songs etc ? A friend of mine mentioned some special headphones you can buy to facilitate this, anyone know how this works?

Yes, there are headphones that control the volume controls as well as forward and rewind
    check out this link: http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones-with-ipod-controls/?tag=mncol;txt

Another issue which I think I may come across is iTunes. My current iTunes is configured for my iPod. Is it possible to install a 2nd client of iTunes for use with the iPhone? I may still need to use the iPod for dirtier jobs around the house (doing renovations) where it might not be safe to bring out the iPhone so I would want to be able to separately sync music to each device. Is this possible?

Yes it is! :)

I've also heard about how great (and not so great) multitasking is with the new iOS 4. The only type of multitasking that I think I'd like to have is to be able to listen to the iPod function of the phone while browsing websites, playing games or texting on the phone. Is this possible with the current implementation of multitasking?

Very possible indeed, no problems whatsoever

Sorry for the long post, but one more question: jailbreaking. According to my friends, if I jailbreak I can get a bunch of apps for free and configure my device however I want. I've looked into the app store and found some apps that I would like and wouldn't mind paying for them. If I do buy these apps and later jailbreak my phone, would they be lost, or could I keep 2 separate states with my regular apps and jb apps and switch between them whenever I want?

They wont get lost. They'll all be on the same page. :)

3. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Yes, easily. And there is a battery percentage indicator that will also better inform you of your usage. Although you will likely want to charge it once a day.

The headphones that come with this do this. You can control the volume, play/pause or go forward or back a track all from the headphone buttons.

Both can sync with the same library, and you can setup multiple separate playlists for each device.

This has actually always been possible with the iPod. It's only recently (iOS 4.0) that other applications have been able to run audio while in the background. I use the NPR app very frequently on walks home, and continue to surf and browse as I listen.

I personally don't do this. I wouldn't recommend it. At least definitely not something you should seek out right after getting the phone. Enjoy the phone for what it offers and if it doesn't do that one thing you need, then I guess you could look at jailbreaking.

You can do "customizations" and such, but really the majority of tweaks are just that. Yes there can be some beneficial things that come along with it, but also it really throws a layer of inconsistency into the mix.

Also, you shouldn't steal applications.

4. sviato thread starter macrumors 68020

sviato

Thanks for the replies.

In terms of iTunes and the separate syncing, will this be explained in the iPhone manual? or where should I look for this kind of info?

Also, as I understand it, I can use my regular appstore apps even if my iphone is jailbroken (but not viceversa)? I'm not planning on jailbreaking anytime soon after I get the phone (I should be kept entertained for a while), but I do like to mess around with hacks sometimes :p

5. SnowDX, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

SnowDX macrumors 6502

iTunes can keep track of more than one device and have each configured independently. Whichever device you have plugged in will show up on the left side of iTunes and the music you set up for it will pertain to that device.

6. sviato thread starter macrumors 68020

sviato

I see. A lot of the music I currently have on my iPod I don't have anymore (since it was on an old comp), is it possible to put the music straight from my iPod onto the iPhone if it separates iTunes for each device?

7. SnowDX macrumors 6502

Sort of. It's not supposed to work this way so it's not an easy process like syncing. Theoretically, the way it's supposed to work is, iTunes is the keeper of the music and the iPod borrows it to listen to it. The iPod never gives it back as there is no need since that music is always in iTunes. If the music disappears from iTunes, then that music also disappear from the iPod if synced.

Technically though, there are ways to get your music off your iPod, then import the music into your iTunes library and then they can be used on other devices. Since you don't have a Mac, I'll assume you have a Windows machine (if it's Linux or some other OS you'll have to search around for more info). Take a look at this link and see if this procedure works for you http://www.ehow.com/how_2187421_transfer-music-ipod-itunes.html I have never had to transfer my music from my iPod or iPhone so I am not claiming that those instructions work. It was just something I found in a Google search. Others might have more tried and true ways they can share with you.

8. sviato thread starter macrumors 68020

sviato

I've transferred music from iPod to computer before, however each music file is just randomly named (like F03 for example) and I'm not sure if there's a way to restore all the names since renaming 400~ songs 1 by 1 is tedious.

Anyone know anything about this?

9. NickkyJ macrumors regular

That might be something you just might have to do. If the file is put into your library and the names are not already on them you might have to result into going back and naming them all. It may be tedious now but when you add them to your library and change them once you add it gets much easier!