First time iPhone user, very disappointed with Siri

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
I've always had BlackBerries for work, but decided it was time to get my own phone. Finally went and bought an iPhone five on Verizon. I've been playing with it quite a bit the last two days and I have to say I love the phone. But man, does Siri suck. At home with full wifi, many Siri commands just sit there with the spiny fancy glow, no response. Is it my connection or Apples back-end servers? Either way, I figured I am Jumping into something that's been around for a year already and expected a lot more.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
it depends, sometimes she is lightning fast, sometimes it will take forever on the simplest of searches such as "what is my name"

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I've always had BlackBerries for work, but decided it was time to get my own phone. Finally went and bought an iPhone five on Verizon. I've been playing with it quite a bit the last two days and I have to say I love the phone. But man, does Siri suck. At home with full wifi, many Siri commands just sit there with the spiny fancy glow, no response. Is it my connection or Apples back-end servers? Either way, I figured I am Jumping into something that's been around for a year already and expected a lot more.
That's pretty much the biggest complaint with Siri, it's very slow for some people.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 2, 2007
That's pretty much the biggest complaint with Siri, it's very slow for some people.
Does anyone know why? I know it all goes back to Apple, so I assume its on their end? Very frustrating to have a "tier 1" feature work so half assed.

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Siri is a bit highly loaded right now due to everyone playing with it on their new phones.

Give it a few days for the initial load to settle down and it should get better.

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
I have never gotten into the habit of using Siri. Too slow. Ask it to wake me up at 6 am, then stare at the spinning nothing for 3 minutes.

pullfocus

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
I have never gotten into the habit of using Siri. Too slow. Ask it to wake me up at 6 am, then stare at the spinning nothing for 3 minutes.
Sometimes Siri works great, other times it's a slow as a glacier. Once the novelty wore off, I pretty much haven't used it since.

pullfocus

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
I wonder if Siri would work better if the network wasn't clogged up with people asking such question as "Siri, will you have sex with me?" "Siri, are you gay?" And so on.

But then I remembered I live in the US. We have crap like Honey Boo-Boo, so I realized that will NEVER stop happening.

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
That's the exact opposite of my recent experience with Siri, she has been lighting quick with iOS 6. I'm thinking your home WiFi might have some issues.

P.S. I will admit though, it has it's moments, but that has almost always been when I am on a Cellular Connection.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Siri is a bit highly loaded right now due to everyone playing with it on their new phones.

Give it a few days for the initial load to settle down and it should get better.
That's what they have been saying for a year. It still sucks.

Abazigal

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It's proving to be more convenient for some tasks for me, such as setting alarms, sending simple texts, running apps straight from the lock screen and calling people. :)

For now, my biggest bugbear is that it sometimes misinteprets "run flipboard" as "run football", "wake me up at 5.30" as "...5.50am" and "off alarm" as "call...." :eek:

pullfocus

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
That's the exact opposite of my recent experience with Siri, she has been lighting quick with iOS 6. I'm thinking your home WiFi might have some issues.

P.S. I will admit though, it has it's moments, but that has almost always been when I am on a Cellular Connection.
I average 25mbps. So I doubt it's that.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Ohio

Bulls**t. That was the problem when Siri first came out. The issue never went away.

It's way too inconsistent. There are some times where I'll ask a question and she'll have a response in less than a second. Other times she'll sit there for a while and I eventually get so pissed off at waiting that I do it myself.

spiderman0616

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2010
Been working great for me (Chicago area). Have been using it in the car a lot and haven't seen a hitch yet. Great for hands free/eyes free texting.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I don't understand, Sometimes Siri answers in 2 secs, other times I wait a min, and I give up.
This is the case for me as well, I'm sure it has something to do with Apple servers been clogged up at that very moment, maybe they should dedicate more servers to Siri alone.

----------

That's what they have been saying for a year. It still sucks.
A lot of iPhone 4 users have never used it before, and with all those upgrades I'm sure there's lots of people using it for the first time. I do agree that they need to definitely improve the response time on it though.

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
This is the case for me as well, I'm sure it has something to do with Apple servers been clogged up at that very moment, maybe they should dedicate more servers to Siri alone.
But, keep in mind. This is asking Siri to do several things, Like I'll ask her what the weather, then to set me a reminder and she will choke up on the second one. even when it is seconds of each other.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
But, keep in mind. This is asking Siri to do several things, Like I'll ask her what the weather, then to set me a reminder and she will choke up on the second one. even when it is seconds of each other.
Yeah sometimes that happens to me as well. Or sometimes it happens all the time. Or sometimes she's blazing fast.

erawsd

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2011
Yeah, I've had the same experience. I've been very impressed with how well she understands. However, the constant delays defeat the purpose of the feature since the whole point of Siri is that its faster/more convenient.

mtcowdog

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
New Siri user here too -- coming from iP4 to iP5. Like some others, I find that Siri is brutally slow. Siri is also frustratingly awful in understanding and doing what I ask. I'm apple-pie rocky mountain west US dialect, not that that should really matter for a useful service. Siri (and Maps) just doesn't seem like it is a useful feature, particularly given the advertising that Apple pushed. WTF Apple?

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Siri is still a work in progress--although it would seem she is somewhat off the hook with IOS6 thanks to Maps--I'm confident both will improve with age. :)