First time iPhone user, very disappointed with Siri

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by theanimala, Sep 22, 2012.

1. theanimala macrumors 6502

I've always had BlackBerries for work, but decided it was time to get my own phone. Finally went and bought an iPhone five on Verizon. I've been playing with it quite a bit the last two days and I have to say I love the phone. But man, does Siri suck. At home with full wifi, many Siri commands just sit there with the spiny fancy glow, no response. Is it my connection or Apples back-end servers? Either way, I figured I am Jumping into something that's been around for a year already and expected a lot more.

2. SteveJobs2.0 macrumors 6502a

it depends, sometimes she is lightning fast, sometimes it will take forever on the simplest of searches such as "what is my name"

3. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

That's pretty much the biggest complaint with Siri, it's very slow for some people.

4. theanimala thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anyone know why? I know it all goes back to Apple, so I assume its on their end? Very frustrating to have a "tier 1" feature work so half assed.

5. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

I'm disappointed with something that I can ultimately live without, too.

6. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Siri is a bit highly loaded right now due to everyone playing with it on their new phones.

Give it a few days for the initial load to settle down and it should get better.

7. Kurwenal macrumors 6502a

Kurwenal

I have never gotten into the habit of using Siri. Too slow. Ask it to wake me up at 6 am, then stare at the spinning nothing for 3 minutes.

8. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

Sometimes Siri works great, other times it's a slow as a glacier. Once the novelty wore off, I pretty much haven't used it since.

9. SprSynJn Guest

Your network must really be bad then, because across the pond Siri works lightning quick for the most part.

10. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

I wonder if Siri would work better if the network wasn't clogged up with people asking such question as "Siri, will you have sex with me?" "Siri, are you gay?" And so on.

But then I remembered I live in the US. We have crap like Honey Boo-Boo, so I realized that will NEVER stop happening.

11. dv8r macrumors 6502

dv8r

Stood in the Apple Store on 14th Street today and played with the iPhone 5, Siri was out cold for minutes at a time...

12. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

That's the exact opposite of my recent experience with Siri, she has been lighting quick with iOS 6. I'm thinking your home WiFi might have some issues.

P.S. I will admit though, it has it's moments, but that has almost always been when I am on a Cellular Connection.

13. MuddyPaws1 macrumors 6502

That's what they have been saying for a year. It still sucks.

14. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

It's proving to be more convenient for some tasks for me, such as setting alarms, sending simple texts, running apps straight from the lock screen and calling people. :)

For now, my biggest bugbear is that it sometimes misinteprets "run flipboard" as "run football", "wake me up at 5.30" as "...5.50am" and "off alarm" as "call...." :eek:

15. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

I average 25mbps. So I doubt it's that.

16. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Bulls**t. That was the problem when Siri first came out. The issue never went away.

It's way too inconsistent. There are some times where I'll ask a question and she'll have a response in less than a second. Other times she'll sit there for a while and I eventually get so pissed off at waiting that I do it myself.

17. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

I don't understand, Sometimes Siri answers in 2 secs, other times I wait a min, and I give up.

18. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Been working great for me (Chicago area). Have been using it in the car a lot and haven't seen a hitch yet. Great for hands free/eyes free texting.

19. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

This is the case for me as well, I'm sure it has something to do with Apple servers been clogged up at that very moment, maybe they should dedicate more servers to Siri alone.

----------

A lot of iPhone 4 users have never used it before, and with all those upgrades I'm sure there's lots of people using it for the first time. I do agree that they need to definitely improve the response time on it though.

20. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

But, keep in mind. This is asking Siri to do several things, Like I'll ask her what the weather, then to set me a reminder and she will choke up on the second one. even when it is seconds of each other.

21. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Yeah sometimes that happens to me as well. Or sometimes it happens all the time. Or sometimes she's blazing fast.

22. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Let's see unresponsive at times, inconsistent at times, sometimes gives you something different then what you asked for.

Hmmm, i think i am married to Siri

23. erawsd macrumors 6502

Yeah, I've had the same experience. I've been very impressed with how well she understands. However, the constant delays defeat the purpose of the feature since the whole point of Siri is that its faster/more convenient.

24. mtcowdog macrumors regular

New Siri user here too -- coming from iP4 to iP5. Like some others, I find that Siri is brutally slow. Siri is also frustratingly awful in understanding and doing what I ask. I'm apple-pie rocky mountain west US dialect, not that that should really matter for a useful service. Siri (and Maps) just doesn't seem like it is a useful feature, particularly given the advertising that Apple pushed. WTF Apple?

25. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Siri is still a work in progress--although it would seem she is somewhat off the hook with IOS6 thanks to Maps--I'm confident both will improve with age. :)