First time Itunes user.......help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thbugman, Apr 5, 2008.

1. thbugman macrumors newbie

We have multiple users on our iMac, is there anyway to sync our libraries? without having to duplicate the same music on the hard drive?

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

The way I've done it - not sure if there is another way - is to have all the music in a folder that all users have access to and then add them to whichever library from there. You need to untick the option in iTunes which copies music added to the library into the iTunes folder. This needs to be done for each user.

It's in iTunes preferences in the Advanced section.

3. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

im a little confused at your question. do you want to sync multiple ipods on the same computer?

4. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

You could try moving the iTunes Music folder to a location that all users can access, such as Macintosh HD / iTunes Music. Then set the location in iTunes Preferences. The actual iTunes Library files can stay in the Username / Music / iTunes folder so everyone can have separate playlists and ratings. I keep my iTunes Music folder on an external drive.

5. seeker777 macrumors member

seeker777

To add a little detail:

Move one library to the shared drive (mine is): Mac HD>Users>Shared>iTunes>iTunes Music.

Set each users preferences to the shared folder: iTunes Preferences>Advanced>General and change the iTunes Music Folder Location to: Macintosh HD:Users:Shared:iTunes:iTunes Music

You can then add the other users music to the shared library. They will need to move their library to the shared folder. Then, from an iTunes account using the shared library, select File>Add to Library and select the other users music folder.