First time jailbreak, question about tethered JB iOS5

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by BlizzardBolt, Nov 23, 2011.

1. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

So I'm about to jailbreak for the first time, been reading iClarified as a guide.

It does mention to download redsnow 0.9 9b6 and also 5.0 firmware.

Since I am already on 5.0 firmware, I would not need to download 5.0 firmware?

However youtube videos show people running redsnow and selecting a manually downloaded iOS5 firmware.

Really lost here...

So would I have to download iOS5 IPSW even though I'm already on iOS 5.0?

Can anyone confirm if the following steps are correct?

1-Connect USB sync cable with phone and computer
    2-Open and run redsnow
    3-Click jailbreak and install cydia
    4-follow onscreen instructions to put in to DFU mode
    5-Wait for screen to light up before letting go of the home button
    6- go to extra and just boot tethered to have a working cydia icon

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I think you have to download the IPSW so redsnow can crack it and install it. You can go into Extras and point it to the IPSW. Im not sure because I went from 4.2.8 to 5.0, but yes that is how you boot...Extras > Just Boot > DFU > Wait until phone starts

You should install Semi-Tether right away also.

You can get IPSWs here http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

3. BlizzardBolt thread starter macrumors 6502

So even if I'm on 5.0 I still have to download 5.0 IPSW and select it when I run redsnow?

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

That is correct.

5. BlizzardBolt thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, Can anyone else confirm this?

6. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Well if you can find where iTunes has it saved, you can use that one. I have never been able to find where it is kept.

7. BlizzardBolt thread starter macrumors 6502

From PC World so for the first time Users do not have to manually supply IPSW, so wouldn't redsnow find the IPSW by it self or will the jailbreak also work if I just download one/ save to desktop and select it before running the jailbreak.

"
    The iPhone Dev-Team has done it again: iOS 5 has been out for only a week or so, but the group has already come up with a tethered jailbreak for devices running Apple's latest software. Here's how to jailbreak your iOS 5 device using the iPhone Dev-Team's Redsn0w tool.

Jailbreaking an iPhone allows users to gain root access to the device, as well as to install unauthorized applications. You might not know that Apple has a stringent App Store policy, and that it routinely rejects apps for a number of reasons, including smuttiness and other "content issues." Jailbreaking your iPhone will let you download unauthorized content from Cydia, which is the jailbroken equivalent of the App Store (don't worry--you'll still be able to use the real App Store).

For the first time, users do not need to manually supply their device's IPSW file. What this means for you is that the new Redsn0w jailbreak is extremely quick and easy to perform on any iOS 5 device (minus the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4S). The Dev-Team is working on an untethered jailbreak, but for now the tethered version is all that's available."

8. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

If your Iphone has OS5 on it, then you do not need to select OS5 again when using Redsn0w. However, your post above indicated your phone has 5.0.1.

If you don't trust me/us to give you the correct info, then I think you should go to other forums to look for answer.

Good luck to you!

9. rick snagwell macrumors 68040

rick snagwell

10. BlizzardBolt thread starter macrumors 6502

I said that I have 5.0?

Youtube, iClarified, PCworld all had different instructions regarding the jailbreak, I was rather confused and was trying to piece together the information. My apologies if you were offended.

So I'm running 5.0 , basically I just have to download Redsnow and no iOS5 ipsw?

11. eleven7 macrumors regular

I know it's your first JB so it's normal to stress a bit, and good on you for doing your research but in all honesty, it's not going to matter if you do or do not need to download the IPSW.

Just try first without downloading the IPSW then if that fails, try plan B. If it doesn't work, your phone won't blow up in flames, it'll more than likely just tell you that it can't be JB and try again.

For what it's worth, I have always downloaded the IPSW file but according to your post it looks like you don't need to.

Good Luck!

12. BlizzardBolt thread starter macrumors 6502

If only you were here a few hours earlier, I literally spent 2 hours reading various websites/watching videos on the tethered jailbreak. Your suggestion was what I exactly did and it worked. Being jailbroken even though it took 2 hours is so worth it!!

I jailbroke iOS5 with redsnow WITHOUT using an ipsw(I guess redsnow fetched it from iTunes by it self). Although I did fail two times trying to put the phone in to DFU mode(for some reason I can never hold on to power button for an extended period of time). Recommending me to watch youtube or google gave me a laugh.

Thanks to everyone that responded/helped :D

13. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

I recommend you to install "semi tether" from the big boss immediately. This packaging is only work on OS5 which is perfect for your phone.

14. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Its probably going to fail anyway, you will learn fast. The iPhone is nearly impossible to brick, the only worry you can have is losing anything you have saved or tried to saved.

And if you would have went to Extras > JailbreakQA > BIG LINK AT TOP "How do I jailbreak iOS 5.0 or 5.0.1?" > Here are instructions...

How to jailbreak iOS 5:

Redsn0w (Mac and Windows)
    Download redsn0w 0.9.9b8 for your operating system. Windows or Mac.

Unzip redsn0w to your desktop and run it. Windows users will need to run it as Administrator, in XP Service Pack 3 (2 if on Vista) compatibility mode.

Click the "Jailbreak" button in redsn0w. Your device needs to be connected at this point. At the next step, choose "Install cydia" only, and follow the instructions.

After the jailbreak is complete, you must re-run redsn0w, click the "Extras" button then the "Just Boot" botton and follow the instructions. You will have to do this every time you reboot or power on the device.

UPDATE:
    IF YOU HAVE UPDATED TO 5.0.1 firmware, you need to click Extras / Select IPSW and specify the 5.0 ipsw, because Redsn0w has not been updated to recognize iOS 5.0.1 yet. If you don't have the 5.0 ipsw, you can download it from this link. If redsn0w says something like That IPSW is not supported by this version of Redsnow. Fingerprint: 6fb7995340b0602239a048b61c9cdac652erd85, then you need to specify the 5.0 ipsw.

And like I have said earlier and Crystal-RX, download and install Semi-Tether. If you cant find the repo, google it.

15. BlizzardBolt thread starter macrumors 6502

Semi tethered allows use of stock apps after reboot but does it allow the use of app store apps (games/utilities)

16. Shivek macrumors member

SemiTether causes all my Cydia apps to have a white icon.

17. BlizzardBolt thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting...

Semi tether already seems too good to be true, Since iOS5 tethered is running GREAT right now, no reason for me to shake things up and risk having problems with semi tether package.

18. Shivek macrumors member

I'm not really sure if it's the iOS5 jailbreak or Semitether itself but all my Cydia icons are white. You can get them back temporarily but they turn white again after every respring or reboot. Since you're jailbroken on iOS5, are your Cydia apps white?

19. BlizzardBolt thread starter macrumors 6502

Nope, well I only have two cydia apps...I guess the sample size is too small.

You have cydia apps on your homescreen? The two that I have are in settings.

20. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Semi tethered allows you to reboot your phone without the help of your computer/redsn0w and once it reboot, you can still use the basic function of your phone i.e call, sms etc.. To get everything working again, you’ll need to boot tethered again.

Without Semi tethered, your phone will hang and will not boot up once you install apps with mobile substrate and your phone will not accessible at all.

21. Shivek macrumors member

Yes, I have SBSettings, SemiTether, and Activator on my homescreen and they're all white but Cydia is not. I'm assuming SemiTether causes that.

22. BlizzardBolt thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm rather a light-moderate user, I will finally heed the 30% battery warnings, semi tether currently doesn't seem necessary, untether may be out in less than 2 or 3 weeks anyways.
    ..Well I have SBsettings and Activator but NOT semi tether, by process of deduction, It does seem the semi tether package is indeed causing you problems. Don't know how to fix it but good luck to you.

23. tjb1 macrumors 68000

You know, the phone may shut off or restart because of an app you install from Cydia? And no, the homescreen icons being white most likely has nothing to do with Semi-Tether. There are a lot of things that can go wrong with a jailbreak, I have done it before and it never even installed Cydia...tried again and Cydia was there.

But I guess if you are in an emergency situation and the phone happens to restart and is now stuck at the boot logo, dont come on here crying about it and how much tethered jailbreaks suck.

Edit: Thank you for explaining what Semi-Tether does, not sure I knew that... :rolleyes: But you will thank us when you need the phone at that time and you can make a call because of semi-tether.