First time jailbreaker questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by blizzardnorth, Nov 23, 2010.

1. blizzardnorth macrumors member

Hello,

I'm just about to take the plunge and jailbreak my iphone 4 running iOS 4.2.1. I've downloaded the new redsn0w and am currently downloading iOS 4.2.1. I've never done this before, but i feel pretty confidant that things will go well.

I want to know what things to download over cydia. Any suggestions?

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

If Cydia offers a Google app, I'd download that first.

3. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

STOP!!!!

If you have never Jailbroken an iDevice please wait, the current state of 4.2.1 jailbreak is very alpha at this point, redsn0w jailbreak is Tether (meaning you have to connect to your computer every time you reboot). Most Jailbraking app are NOT working propertly with 4.2.1 yet (not even the most common one like Backgrounder and SBSsetting - Activator).

You going to find yourself running redsn0w many times and your device hanging and freezing a lot.

Wait until the 4.2.1 Jaibreak tools hit stable stage and for the apps to be updated to work property you will have a more pleasant experience

4. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

What's the bet that we get a thread later saying, "HELPP!!!!! PHONE WON'T BOOT UP!"

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

can't wait till ts wonders about the tethered jb and why he can't unlock his phone. best advice ts if you have to ask basic question don't Jailbreak!

6. andy9l macrumors 68000

With the current state of things, that attitude will get you and your $600 phone into a mess.
    Stop, read, research and wait a month or so for the Jailbreak 'community' to catch up with the new 4.2.1.

You're almost guaranteed to scare yourself off trying to Jailbreak in this climate. DFU mode, reboots, freezes, crashes, re-spring loops - you name it.

I must admit, I haven't yet done my research on the situation (not planning on upgrading to 4.2), but last I heard, Cydia wasn't yet compatibly anyway. So even if you did Jailbreak, considering you'd be new to it all, you'd struggle to do anything on your iPhone other than what you can already do.

I still consider myself new to JB'ing - just over a month or so - and there's no way I'm jumping into a tethered 4.2.1 Jailbreak. Not. A. Chance.

Bet you regret clicking 'Update' so quickly in iTunes; and no, you can't roll back a version - unless of course you saved your SHSH blobs...?

7. garretruh macrumors member

Re:

It's not too late to downgrade to 4.1 and jailbreak that. As of 10 minutes ago, Apple was still signing 4.1 restores.

8. andy9l macrumors 68000

Is that possible if he/she has already updated to 4.2.x via iTunes - without saving 4.1 blobs beforehand? If so, my understanding of these so-called 'blobs' is near-enough entirely incorrect.

9. garretruh macrumors member

When Apple releases a new firmware, after about a week, they will stop "signing" or verifying restores to an older firmware. As soon as they stop signing those older firmwares, then you need the blobs to downgrade. However, Apple has not stopped signing 4.1 installs/restores and so it is currently possible to downgrade to 4.1 if you have upgraded to 4.2/4.2.1. When Apple stops signing 4.1 though, which will be soon, then you will need the blobs for it to downgrade.