First time Jailbreaker... questions....

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by 2002cbr600f4i, May 14, 2010.

1. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

Hey gang,

Ok, I just ran the Spirit JB on my iPad... OMG that was quick and painless! I do have a couple questions though...

I'm doing this pretty much only so I can get background processing (Backgrounder?) to work. I have no real interest in anything else...

Do I need to do anything more than run Cydia, find Backgrounder, install it and that's it? What about all this root password stuff? Do I need to worry about doing that? I don't really care about being able to SSH into the iPad and have even less interest in allowing that to happen ever...

What else do I need to know to get this working well and still be secure?

Thanks!

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

I am not sure about the iPad but with the jailbroken iPhone every time you turn off and the on the iPhone the SSH is active. In addition to the security vulnerability it will drain your battery. So with backgrounder be aware of it and turn it off. It is a good practice to change the root password. You don't want your personal stuff to be vulnerable with a password that anyone knows. To change the password is a simple UNIX terminal command.

3. 2002cbr600f4i thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm... I'm not sure that's still the case... the instructions on Cydia said to ssh root@(ipad IP). When I try that I get a connection refused, so I don't know that OpenSSH is actually running... If not, I guess it can't really be a security risk, can it?

I did manage to get Backgrounder running just now and so far it's nice. Took a couple tries to understand how to set the settings (I only want a couple things to be backgroundable, namely IM+, Limechat, and Pandora... can't see any reason for any other non-normal stuff to be backgrounded on my setup.

Anyone else do the Spirit JB on the iPad and want to chime in on the root pw+ SSH???

Thanks!

--Mike

4. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

If your iPad is a WiFi only model remove OpenSSH and only install it when necessary as it breaks the location services on that model.

It's also more secure in a way- the tunnel is removed rather than 'blocked' with a password (so nobody can hack your p/w and get into the raw files).

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

The problem with not having openSSH on with a changed password, is that you have no way to get into the iPad files if you need to when things go wrong. I wouldn’t recommend not having openSSH. It’s fairly easy to make appropriate passwords that can’t be hacked easily.

6. kresh macrumors 6502a

kresh

I agree with -aggie- it is really easy to change the root and mobile passwords in less than 2 minutes. I would not remove openssh.

7. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

The problem is how OpenSSH breaks Location Services on the WiFi iPad, it's not just a security problem. I only mentioned about how, if removed, there would be a little bit of added security in a way as the OP was worried about security.

So if you don't need Location Services, then keep OpenSSH installed with a changed password. Most people use Google Maps and besides many other apps (weather apps, etc) use Location Services as well so the loss of LS would be a problem.

I'm aware of the workaround (install OpenSSH and do not reboot from then on) but it's an annoyance being unable to reboot the iPad.