first time jailbreaking - kind of disappointed

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by lionqueen, Aug 2, 2010.

1. lionqueen macrumors 6502

One of the things that's touted about j/b is the ability to customize your phone's sounds. I downloaded tonefxs, paid 5.00 for it in fact, and all it gave me was a couple extra sounds. It said if I want to make my own sounds, go to a webpage and download the tone creator. Ok, no problem. Except it doesnt work with my version of itunes. So basically I just paid 5 bucks for nothing :/ I downloaded SBSettings also, and it seems cool so far.

Is there another message/email ringtone app I should be downloading, that works better and will allow me to make a custom tone for my email and messages? Also, is it possible to set certain ppl their own custom message tone, so I get one sound if it's one person, and a different sound if it's another? Also, any apps a j/b newbie should dl? Thanks in advance.

2. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

Winterboard. There are also some add-on themes & sounds for WB. All of this is free. This has so far only worked for some SMS settings, but not emails. Otherwise, since I'll have to wait until I get paid to get other apps, JBing has not been as much of a big upgrade.

3. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'll download Winterboard now. Could it be that there just isn't much right now, but there'll be more in the next couple months now that the j/b is out there? I'm thinking of giving it a week and seeing how I like it - if not, I might just go back to stock. Don't want to make any rash decisions though.

4. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

If you don't want to use Winterboard and know how to use SSH and/or iFile you can go into the phone and manually replace sound files as well.

Just navigate to: /System/Library/Audio/UISounds

Make sure you backup any sounds that you want to replace. Winterboard is a lot easier, but I don't like using Winterboard so I do everything manually unless I'm using a theme or something.

5. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

It is possible that nothing is compatible with iOS 4.0. I have seen that quite alot in Cydia. There could always be some new apps that are awesome, but we can't tell what developers are planning.

6. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

k, I downloaded ifile and Im in UISounds, but all the files end in .caf. can I put an mp3 or m4r file in there and have it work as a tone?

7. enklined macrumors 6502

I think you have to make the ringtone less than 40 seconds, then convert it to AAC, then change the file extension to .caf manually.

Not positive though - google it.

8. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

Nah you would have to convert them.

use this website: http://grncndy.com/2009/04/11/create-and-install-custom-sms-tones-on-iphone/

That tutorial is a little old so to update: the import settings in the latest iTunes is under the general tab where it says when you insert a cd. Then you can right click on the file you want and hit create aiff version.

To upload the file from your laptop to the phone use iFile's little Wifi look-alike button on the bottom and go to the address in your browser and navigate to the proper directory. Or you can SSH into your phone if you have an FTP program. Default username and pass is root and alpine respectively.

9. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it - got the file converted, but I can't seem to get ifile to work - when I click on the wifi sign, I end up with a couple http addys, one with my iphone name or one with just the numbers - i try both in my laptop's browser and just get an error page. also there's a progress bar on the bottom that just stays at 0% the whole time, and a button on the top right that says "done". I googled a bit but it's still murky - can someone explain step by step how to get the file from my laptop onto my iphone with ifile?

10. lionqueen thread starter macrumors 6502

just saw this - think i might try the ftp way, its not working the other way and I've no idea why - Ive tried two or three times, double checking the addy, and it just gives me an error.

edit

PS - I'm tired, but I'll be damned if I'll go to bed til I get this to work.

11. brunetmj macrumors member

You do bring up a good point about the pros and cons of jailbreaking.
    It is not unusual for a bug or two to appear in a jailbroken phone. For most of us the pros far outweigh the cons. It remains however a issue to consider before doing it in the first place.
    There are several threads on here discussing that topic and worth reading.