First Time Mac and I really Need Help! REFORMAT Please

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by triplecore1, Jun 11, 2009.

1. triplecore1 macrumors member

This is my first Mac I bought it off Craiglist because I have used Windows all my life and want to test the waters with OS X. I know nothing about Macs; except > apple> about this mac. It’s a Mac OS X 10.4.11 500mhz PowerPC G4, 768 MB SDRAM, Local Disk.

Since I bought it used I am trying to reinstall OSX on it and the previous owner gave me a burned retail copy 10.4.6. The problem is when I stick it in the drive it spits the DVD out after a 20 seconds. I copied the disk onto Memorex, Sony and even Maxwell DVD burning at different speeds no help. I also know the internal DVD player is working because I can watch DVDs on it. So I decided to plug in a External USB DVD Drive which I use with Windows and its compatible with the Mac because now I can read the dvd and on the desktop “Mac OS X Install DVD” And a window opens with a “X in a circle with a red down arrow” when I click it, I am told to restart which I do. But then it boots right back to OS X. From my experience with Windows I need to change boot order. How do I do this? I am using a windows keyboard; please tell me what windows key to press.

Please help me reformat it? I really want to try Mac.

Thanks

2. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Hold down "C" when you restart and it should boot up from the disk. You'll need to format the HDD before you can install an older version of Tiger. Format the drive "Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then you should be able to run the installer.

3. triplecore1 thread starter macrumors member

I think I just killed my make with 2 clicks. I click in System Prefences>Startup Disk>Network or something. Now it wont start. Is this a joke. Black monitor and the green light is flashing meaning the monitor is getting no signal from the Mac. I think it just flatlined...

4. triplecore1 thread starter macrumors member

before i flatlined my mac, the disk would just get spit right back out.

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Hold down option when you restart you should be able to select your OS X HDD to boot from.

Err... on a Windows keyboard that would be "alt" I believe

6. triplecore1 thread starter macrumors member

tried both left and right; no go :(

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Sounds like your little bootleg copy of OS-X is bad. Contact the seller and ask if he has another disc?

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You should have bought a refurb Mac Mini for under $450 from apple's web site. Apple refurbs looks exactly like new and come with same warranty as new.

To look up how old that computer is, go to everymac.com

9. triplecore1 thread starter macrumors member

didnt know about aple refurb :(

10. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

In my experience on my especially crappy Belkin keyboard (used for sheer USB cable length), its been the key with the Windows logo. I would try installing it again with that...

11. triplecore1 thread starter macrumors member

do i press it as soon as I press power? Because right now I can here my computer monitor turn on but the green light doesn't stop flashing meaning no connection.

also when I bought it everytime you press the power the button the sreen would stay black until after around 20 to 30 seconds then you would see the gray screen. is that normal? the computer is old