First time Mac buyer, iMac or Macbook? Advice please!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sief, Nov 17, 2007.

1. sief macrumors newbie

Hey everybody.

I am a first time Mac buyer, and currently own a Compaq Presario laptop. Its about 2 years old, and I'm looking for my first Mac.

I love the portability of owning a laptop. I am a college student, and being able to take my laptop to class with me is always nice. But I love the huge, beautiful screens of the iMac.

If I were to buy a Macbook or MB Pro, I would eventually look at the Apple Cinema displays.

My question would be, what are the performance differences between having a desktop / laptop in the Mac world? In my past experiences, where you gain in portability function with a laptop, you lose in performance.

Thanks for everyone's advice!

2. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

The iMac uses a Laptop Processor anyway, the speed and performance aren't that much different until it comes to gaming/graphics. I'm not sure about the X3100, but I can safely say that the HD2600 Pro is a much better Graphics Card.

If you're a College student I suggest you buy a MacBook (MBP quite heavy to carry around for a whole day). The performance of the MacBook won't let you down. Just up the RAM to at least 2GB.

3. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

I would say drop the iMac idea and go for either the MB or MBP, I personally have a MBP and I love how it can handle a LOT of processes at once and not slow down. I have a love/hate relationship with MBs though since they seem bulkier, the discoloration/dirt can be bad and they're noticeably slower.

All in all, I would go for a MBP...I love mine to death. As for weight, it's not bad especially if you get a laptop backpack, which has worked awesome for me.

GL

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I would go with the MBP for college. It is a more capable machine and I feel portability is a must in college.

5. macanudo macrumors regular

macanudo

Get either a macbook or MBP for college. You will enjoy the portability and wireless capabilities, especially in a college environment. Just get a cinema display to add on later.

6. sief thread starter macrumors newbie

How much of a difference is there between the MB and the MBP? Mainly what I do is surf, music, photos, basic iLife stuff. No gaming on my computer. Would I really need a MBP to do all of these things? I think I would be satisfied with a black Macbook, and add the 23" ACD.

I appreciate everyones responses!

7. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

The big difference is the the MBP is an all-around more powerful computer than the MB. If you want to spend the extra money, it's worth it. The MPB has a bigger screen, is faster, has more ports, (firewire 800 might be nice), has a faster processor, can hold more memory, etc. I don't know if you need the power, but if you want it, I'm sure it's worth it in the long run. But, to suit the purposes you described, the MB should be fine.

8. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

There is no need for the MBP. The MacBook is blazingly fast and you won't tell the difference between the MBP until you do Photoshop, Final Cut, and gaming etc. For your uses, the MB is perfectly enough.

9. ilogic macrumors regular

If you get 2GB of ram (60 bucks on newegg) you'll have great performance. you can boil it down to this, if you do graphics intensive work that requires alot of calculations and ram, then yes go with MBP, if you don't and use it for typical documents, photos music, web stuff, the Macbook is a fantastic keep. We have one in black, its so pretty. its still sexy to this day. :apple:

10. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

The choice really depends on the budget. If you're one of the lucky ones and the budget doesn't really matter, then go for the MBP. After a lot of looking around and testing them in person I know that I like the MBP more. MBs get dirty and discolored, feel bulkier and less structured, they're thicker, not as bright screens, less battery life (I believe) and slower processors (I believe).

Honestly if you have the money go for the MBP, but if you are wondering whether to earn the possibly extra grand to get the MBP then just settle for the MB and it will suffice more than well.

11. ivan1234 macrumors regular

I've had both and I don't think I will ever go back to a desktop. The macbook is a great machine!

12. sief thread starter macrumors newbie

Where is the best place to buy a MB at? Apple store? Apple online store? Somewhere else?

13. jeremyrader macrumors member

You can get an education discount through Apple, either on-line or at your local store. Plus you get $100 off a printer (i.e. free printer) that way. Don't know if the free iPod with a Mac is coming back though... Either way, you get none of that going through Amazon or wherever else.

I'd skip the Apple display and just get a flat-panel monitor/TV someplace else for half the price... My 37" HDTV was only $800 shipped... same as a 23" Apple Display (which has no TV tuner...).

I use my MBP at school and don't find the weight an issue. That being said, if it was only for school, I would have got the MB instead.

14. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

No more iPod deal, but I would say to get it online just to customize it, then get the rebate on the printer and if you're a student, use the student discount, by all means.

And though 30" Cinema displays are gorgeous, he has a point in that they are ridiculously expensive. Like...ridiculously.