First time mac buyer, mbp non-unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ddehr026, May 1, 2010.

1. ddehr026 macrumors 6502

Hey all,

just wanted to say hi. I just received my first macbook pro in the mail yesterday. I bought a pre unibody one off ebay. I wasnt sure I would like it so I couldnt justify spending the money on a new one. Anyways here is what I got:

15" screen
    core 2 duo 2.6
    4gb ram
    8600gt 512mb
    snow leopard
    iLife 09
    iWork 09
    Applecare till May 2011

I bought for 879 with free shipping (plus bcb, of courrse). im excited to start learning the mac but more excited because i heard that steam is coming to mac too! I may a total convert in a months time lol

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Congrats and welcome to MacRumors!

Good that it has warranty as 8600M GT has pretty high failure rate, but enjoy it :cool:

3. ddehr026 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah thats why i had the applecare, but i also am getting a 2 year square trade warranty as well. hopefully by then ill be ready for whatever stevo has for us!

4. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I think you'll be very happy. The 15" discrete MBP (as opposed to unibody, because it's made of "discrete" aluminum components) is what I started with and got me switched to mac totally, and it was a great laptop that took lots of use and abuse from me, serving me well. Congrats on your purchase. :)

5. andrew086 macrumors regular

That was actually a really good deal. tbh, besides design, battery, and newer processors, the MBPs haven't really changed too much. Unless you're going to need 7 hrs of battery life and will use all the power of an i5 or i7, then you'd be better of with something like the OP got.

6. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

And the trackpad, I know that goes with design, but to me that was the most significant change.

Good Purchase OP, thats a pretty good price for all you got. Welcome to MacRumors.

7. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

this maybe a dumb question, but why not buy a new white macbook for like what 100 dollars more? and in a years time buy apple care.

8. andrew086 macrumors regular

No discrete graphics, no firewire, less ram, slower processor, smaller screen, and less durable.

9. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

I dont think its less durable. that plastic looks pretty hard.

10. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

My wife has a macbook, and it does not seem all that slow, we don't know what this person is using it for. is it a development machine or to run office skype and other chatting programs such as my wife does. as far as duarbilty I think we can all agree that dropping a laptop is never a good idea.

11. andrew086 macrumors regular

I'm not sure what the OP is planning on using his MBP for, but for Skype/Office a MacBook is more than enough. It would slow down if you tried doing things like video/photo processing.