First time mac buyer, need advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dbyl2, May 10, 2008.

1. dbyl2 macrumors newbie

Hello
    I am New to the forums and I need some advice:
    I am going to buy my first macbook for design work next year and I am thinking of buying it from macmall, I live in Ireland and the way it will work is I get it shipped to my aunt, she ships it to me, the reason is because I am in a budget of 500 to 600 pounds and If I buy in dolllars and convert back the currency crises goes into my favor so a once 750 or more macbook is only 621 (something like that) my question is no.1 should I buy my first mac from a online reseller like macmall and no.2 I have researched this alot I know the reason most graphic people don't get a macbook because of the graphic card and screen size and my question is will the macbook run well the 3d part of illustrator and ps cs3 extended ? , also if you have any other resellers or places where you can get apple products for a cheaper price please let me know.
    thanks

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Buy from the refurbished apple store - you'll save even more over macmall's price.

3. dbyl2 thread starter macrumors newbie

apple refurb are giving it to me for £699 and macmall are giving it for £664.10 (according to latest exchange rates)

4. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

don't worry about the lack of graphics card for cs3. PS and Illustrator use the processor and RAM more intensely. As for screen size, the MB has the same amount of pixels as most PC laptops in the same price range.

as for macmall or refurb, it really depends on if you want new, or 99% new. I'd personally go for the new one, but it's up to you.

and congrats on about to be getting a laptop :)