First Time Mac Buyer Needs Honest Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jnavarro800, Oct 15, 2008.

1. jnavarro800 macrumors newbie

I need opinions on which (if any) Mac I should buy.

I currently use an HP, I am a college student and want something reliable that will last for next 2-3years, I am a little hesitant about 13inch since I've been using a 15in for last 3 years, but don't want anything too heavy so i can carry around campus. My primary uses will be internet, school work and a small amount of film editing (as a hobby). The laptop will be covered by school loan so not completely limited by funds, but I want to get the best bang for my buck without having a bunch of useless stuff.

So New MacBook, MacBook Pro or Old MacBook

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!
    (also any info on final cut express would be awesome, in past I've used final cut pro)

2. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

If you're looking for "bang for your buck" Apple isn't the best choice.

Is the $2000 MBP what you want? Or you could go for the refurb MBP 's that are $1350 right now. It's your choice.

3. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

go the macbook. im running a 14inch iBook, dad has a 15mbp - I LOVE THE 13 Macbook when i see them

4. Catonow macrumors regular

If you can afford it, then get the base model MBP, as it is 15". If that costs too much, then consider one of the MBs. You probably should check them out first, make sure the screen size is suitable. Most people get used to it, after a while. But either way, you're going to be blown away by the experience. I almost envy you, getting your first Mac.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd suggest getting a refurb MBP; since the new models have been introduced this week, there are good deals on the refurbs (ie, superseded, previous generation, models). They come with the Apple warranty, (tho' I'd suggest adding Applecare to that), have been rigorously tested, and now have a generous discount. They are excellent computers, have a terrific screen, and impressive performance. You'll get several years out of one.

Cheers and good luck

6. jnavarro800 thread starter macrumors newbie

Two Options

MacBook, 13-inch, Aluminum $1974
    Part Number: Z0FV
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide
    iWork '08 preinstalled
    Final Cut Express preinstalled
    Accessory kit

OR

MacBook Pro, 15", Aluminum $2240
    Part Number: Z0FZ
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    320GB Serial ATA @ 7200
    SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide
    iWork '08 preinstalled
    Accessory kit

Main Differences: MB comes with Final Cut Express and ATA @5400, where MBP does not come with Final Cut Express, but with ATA @7200

THANKS FOR ADVICE!!

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

For your use the old model white case Macbook will be fine and it is very portable. If you need a larger screen, say for editing video then buy a larger LCD monitor and use that when you are at your desk and the built-in 13" screen when you are away. The MBP is overkill and rather expensive for the light duty jobs you describe but if you've got the cash why not? Macs tend to last a long time. Even the low-end models have good specs. Any dual core machine will still be useful in 3 to 5 years. 2GB od RAM will be enough to run a browser, iMovie and so on.