First time Mac buyer questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Meph, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Meph macrumors newbie

So, I'm getting ready to buy my first Mac. Got my sights set on a refurb'd 15" Macbook Pro, but I had some Qs first:

If I were to purchase a new Merom MBP, where would be the best place to do this? Obviously for a refurb I'll go to the Apple Store, but I'm still debating refurb vs new.

How often is the refurb stock at Apple updated?

Bags: I hear that both Crumpler and Timbuk2 make great messenger bags that fit Macs well; what specific models do you all recommend, and equally important, where to buy from?

Although I like the MB form-factor better, I'm going with the MBP for the dedicated graphics. Any other general advice you all can offer?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Refurb stock at the online store seems to update weekly, so I imagine it's similar at a brick-and-mortar.

I've had a timbuk2 commuter for ages (two, actually) (two bags, not two ages...:rolleyes:) and I highly recommend it - lots of pockets in all the right places.

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Don't get RAM upgrades from Apple because it's way over priced.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Yeah, to the tune of $600 at apple and $100 at places like edge, datamem, newegg, OWC....

5. PNW macrumors regular

Timbuk2 bags are great I've had one for years, and I use it lug my laptop (and everything else) to and from the office on my bike. I also have a neoprene sleeve that I stick my laptop in for those times I forget to keep the rubber side down.

6. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

If you're tight on money then go for a refurb, but if you're not worried about it, spring for the new. You'll be enthralled.

7. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I love MBP lighted keys, aluminum case/palm rest. The speakers sound great at home (they suck at the apple store). I would love to check out the $50 wenger (swiss army knife) back pack made for MBP at buy.com.

8. getfuzzy77 macrumors newbie

I just ordered a refurb'd Macbook, and I'm so excited it's on its way! It will be my first Mac, and hopefully not my last. I already ordered more RAM for it, and can't wait to spoil it. :)

So...I was looking at bags to tote it in. I am a big fan of the Swiss Gear brand as many of my friends have it, as well as many of the kids around campus who also tote around their laptops. I will have to check out the two brands mentioned above.

I do have a question, though: how do you protect your macs (particularly the notebooks)? I am going to get a keyboard protector and probably a vinyl protector for the palm rests, but what about the outside of your Mac? Have any of you used skins, hard shells, or just the clear adhesives?

Also, I am looking to upgrade the HDD in my macbook. I am looking at a 320gb HDD from Western Digital (the Scorpio). Does anyone have this, or know of anyone who does? I've heard WD is a decent brand, but I personally have never used their products.

I am trying to learn about the software with Leopard, and the various cool things my Macbook can do. I have poked around Apple's website and around MacRumors and SwitchingToMac and MyFirstMac...but I am curious about Time Machine. I will have to do some more hunting before I ask any more questions.

Oh, and I've been browsing the boards for probably a month now, and I definitely enjoy the atmosphere around here. Just thought I'd let you guys know it's nice to find a community of well-informed, humane people. lol