Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jb609jb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Hi. I have never owned an Apple product besides an iPhone before but my PC is dying and I have been looking to buy a base 21.5" iMac for the last few months. I have been following this forum closely because after reading through it I was concerned I would get screwed by a refresh and really kick myself for not waiting.

However, now that I really think about it, I don't plan on using the iMac for gaming, just email, surfing, iTunes, Photoshop and some light video editing. Does it really pay for me to wait a month or more for a refresh that probably won't impact the way I use the iMac? I was hoping some of you could weigh in and tell me if I am on the right track or completely mistaken.

Thanks.

garretruh

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
Minnesota
Wait for Monday's WWDC conference. If there's something being added to the iMac that you really want/need, then wait. If not, go right ahead and buy it.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Likely not but we never know what Steve has in his mind ;) Last update came from the bushes, nobody expected something like that.

It's up to you. You may not benefit from waiting but most people just prefer having the newest and latest

jb609jb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I think I can hold out till Monday, I was more concerned about waiting till Sept/Oct/Nov. I don't think I have the will power for that ;)

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Current iMac will be a welcome refrech from your PC. For what you plan on doing it will serve you well for years. However, if you can eke out a few more weeks, you might get a bit more for your money. With Macs, your best value is at the beginning of a cycle. As prices don't go down during a cycle(with rare exception), you get more computer for the money when thay are first released. As this batch was refreshed in October 2009...you might wait a bit if you can.

jb609jb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Thanks

I really appreciate everyone's advice. Thanks for taking the time.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
You'd be potentially more screwed with the 21.5 inch iMacs than the higher end iMacs with an update, but for your uses, you probably wouldn't even notice the difference anyways.

May 8, 2008
Hi. I have never owned an Apple product besides an iPhone before but my PC is dying and I have been looking to buy a base 21.5" iMac for the last few months. I have been following this forum closely because after reading through it I was concerned I would get screwed by a refresh and really kick myself for not waiting.

However, now that I really think about it, I don't plan on using the iMac for gaming, just email, surfing, iTunes, Photoshop and some light video editing. Does it really pay for me to wait a month or more for a refresh that probably won't impact the way I use the iMac? I was hoping some of you could weigh in and tell me if I am on the right track or completely mistaken.

Thanks.

I was in your exact situation two days ago when my HP DV4 started having overheating problems. I ultimately decided to go ahead and buy the same model you're thinking about getting. I decided based on my needs/ usage that the base is more than fine for what I do on a daily basis. Since last night I've setting up everything on my first iMac and it's going great, no regrets here. If you are really worried though about possible up grades/ changes, just wait- it's not like the price will go up or the specs will be downgraded.

jb609jb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
I was in your exact situation two days ago when my HP DV4 started having overheating problems. I ultimately decided to go ahead and buy the same model you're thinking about getting. I decided based on my needs/ usage that the base is more than fine for what I do on a daily basis. Since last night I've setting up everything on my first iMac and it's going great, no regrets here. If you are really worried though about possible up grades/ changes, just wait- it's not like the price will go up or the specs will be downgraded.

Yeah, I am starting to lean that way the more I think about it and get input from you guys. From what I have read, everyone seems to think it will be a minor update anyways with the base GPU moving to the 320M. Since I wouldn't use the iMac to play games I think I wouldn't get a ton out of the refresh.

Then again. I am new and don't know a whole lot;)

Audio Blood

macrumors member
May 20, 2010
Californication
This is the exact situation I am/was in (with the exception of adding 1/2 games, but I've already played them and they are lightning fast). I caved and bought the 21.5" yesterday and I couldn't be happier. Although I made a couple threads asking for advice, I wanted the free iPod touch and printer as well as my educational discount, and didn't think the updates would affect me too much. Nor did I want to wait til Septemberish. Even though the WWDC is just days away, the new products won't be out for months. Personally I might have waited if my laptop would hold out but it's on the verge of its death.

But as I said, I am completely pleased with the iMac. It is lightyears faster than my old lappy and has 20 times the space.

jb609jb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Photoshop and GPU?

Does a good GPU help make a program like Photoshop work better/faster? Or is that all pure CPU power?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.