First time mac buyer

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by grummor, Jan 19, 2014.

1. grummor macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have recently decided that I would like to purchase a mac laptop, having never owned one before. Because of this I'm a bit confused as to where to start.

One of the main reasons I want to buy a macbook is to play the upcoming Elder Scrolls Online game – so I'm looking for a model that is going to allow me to 'game' on it. Nothing overly fancy but something that will just get the job done.

Other than that feature I'm not too fussed on much else, obviously the slimmer the better.

Can somebody point me in the right direction? Are macs now actually good for gaming on? I'd like to keep the costs below $1,500.

Thanks!!

2. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Something to consider: a Macbook Air 13" refurb from Apple's refurb store. They come with the standard 1 year warranty, are eligible for Apple Care(extended warranty), and are generally 10-20% lower than retail. Then throw Windows 7 if you feel you need it, and for less than $1100, you have a pretty decent machine. Refurb stock fluctuates, so sometimes you'll see only the entry level machines available, and then the higher ends come in.

I've read and seen many now that are able to use the Macbook Airs for gaming without major issues. Just depends on how into it you are. If you're wanting a consistent 60fps(theoretical), no glitch or hitch, moving into the Macbook Pro 13" may be suitable. Those too are available in the refurb store.

Check it out: http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

3. grummor thread starter macrumors newbie

So I could look into getting an Air and still be able to run games OK on it? I'm not after a super super high detail finish when gaming, just smooth and 'nice' graphics (I know that sounds silly). Capable of running something like Alan Wake having it look good. But getting an Air is appealing as they are the much thinner ones aren't they? (again excuse my complete lack of knowledge)

4. DmbShn41 macrumors 6502

Check this thread out: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1594690

They're doing a running list of games and settings on the new Macbook Air with the Intel HD 5000 graphics that is available on the mid 2013 (current generation) Macbook Air. I can't speak for the Intel HD 4000 series as I wasn't following those too closely.

The current Macbook Air is easily the best ever to date. 9+ hours battery life, great performance, great graphics, backlit keyboard. And to be able to snatch a 13" model with 4GB RAM and 128GB SSD, for only $929? That's less than the base 11" model brand new.

Again, weigh your needs and determine if this is really what you need. A base 13" Macbook Pro will obviously do all that and more, but is that too much?

5. grummor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link, ATM I'm leaning towards a MBA, I've read a lot that it can in fact handle gaming at reasonable levels, and I love the thinness and weight of it. How do you think a 2013 model would handle the upcoming Elder Scrolls Online?

6. allthingsapple macrumors member

Yes it should support the upcoming Elder Scrolls. I don't see why not.