First time Mac buyer

nayak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2014
I am a first time buyer of MacBook Pro. I am a software developer and mostly going to use it for programming, movies and listening music. Some times I run heavy duty java applications, so having more ram is ideal for my use case. Considering price and portability, I decided to go for $1499 13" MacBook Pro.

If I go for 8Gb RAM, how much memory will be available for OS usage and how much will be used by graphics. Is it worth spending extra $200 for 16 GB?

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I am a first time buyer of MacBook Pro. I am a software developer and mostly going to use it for programming, movies and listening music. Some times I run heavy duty java applications, so having more ram is ideal for my use case. Considering price and portability, I decided to go for $1499 13" MacBook Pro.

If I go for 8Gb RAM, how much memory will be available for OS usage and how much will be used by graphics. Is it worth spending extra $200 for 16 GB?
This is another 8 vs 16 GB RAM thread in disguise.

If you can afford it, get the 16GB. Honestly, if you have to ask, you probably don't need it.

Will the admins/mods/whatever PLEASE make a RAM sticky thread?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

Since it's not upgradeable post-purchase, max it out if you can afford it.

I always buy more than what I need now, because down the road, software requirements will increase over time, along with my needs.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
You probably don't need the 8GB but for peace of mind, especially of the plan is to keep the machine for a 3+ years its not a bad decision.

glenthompson

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2011
Florida
If you plan to ever run a virtual machine for software development you will want the 16gb. Running Parallels with Windows is the only time I need 16. Running just Mac apps 8 is usually fine.

----------

If you plan to ever run a virtual machine for software development you will want the 16gb. Running Parallels with Windows is the only time I need 16. Running just Mac apps 8 is usually fine.