First time Mac buyer..

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cathaoir99, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Cathaoir99 macrumors newbie

2. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Forget that, buy only Apple Re-Furb, throughly checked out and guranteed like new, its all I buy, oh and welcome Pilgrim!

3. Cathaoir99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately can't afford Apple re-furbs atm. I've read there are some credible premium resellers and other companys which do refurbs on eBay though if someone could point me in the right direction for the price.

4. Windowsrefugee macrumors regular

Strongly suggest getting a 2013 (or later) MBA, not a 2012 or earlier. The battery life and performance of the 2013 are truly amazing. It has Thunderbolt and USB3 so external storage and data transfer is faster than earlier models. It is truly "all day computing". I just tuck my 2013 MBA under my arm and leave the power brick at home when I go out. It is a phenomenal machine-- the SSD makes everything from boot to opening programs and documents amazingly fast compared to any machine with a HDD. Good luck finding one with your specs and budget-- then enjoy the experience!!!

5. Windowsrefugee macrumors regular

I would strongly agree with Cheffy Dave-- you can find good values with the Apple warranty on the Apple refurb store-- a 2013 11" MBA as low as $809 and a 13" for $929. http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac So the 11" is in your price range and the 13" is about 20% more. Personally, I would either go for the 11" at your price range or save a little bit longer and get the 13" IF you value the longer battery life and larger screen more than the portability of the 11". They are both great machines and you will have Apple warranty and support via phone and/or Genius Bar if you live near a store.

6. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

That wouldn't work for him as he/she is in the UK.

I too concur that the OP should look for a 2013 and newer. He should be able to find a used one on eBay for 500£.

7. Windowsrefugee macrumors regular

Are Apple returns only available in the U.S.? I was not aware of that :(

OP, do you have a friend or relative in the U.S. who could purchase an Apple MBA refurb?

8. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

No, but the link that you posted is for the US store only.

9. Cathaoir99 thread starter macrumors newbie

All the 2013 models seem to be around £650. May have to go for a 2012 mode.

10. Windowsrefugee macrumors regular

And "one more thing"... There IS an Apple refurb store in the UK... http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

So as a long-suffering Windows Refugee who lives near the MS epicenter-- welcome to the Apple family ;-)

Also, read this from Apple....
    Shopping outside the U.S.
    There are more than 30 Apple Online Stores in countries around the globe. If you would like to purchase Apple products from outside the U.S., please see our International Store Directory to find out if an Apple Online Store serves your country.

Shopping for friends and family who reside outside of the U.S.
    Would you like to buy a gift for a friend or family member residing in a different country? Visit the Gifting section of online Help for more information.

11. Windowsrefugee, Sep 7, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015

Windowsrefugee macrumors regular

Ugh... I see that. Having both the 2012 and 2013 machines, I would still strongly recommend you hold out and find a way to get the 2013 MBA, even if takes a bit longer or you have to go with the 11". IMO it is a MUCH better machine. The MBA has served as my desk-top replacement for over 5 years, even though I have only had this one for just over 2 years. It is a sound investment.