First time Mac buying college student...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrbeaverhousen, May 27, 2009.

1. mrbeaverhousen macrumors member

Hey everyone, I'm new and I have a few questions. I've been eyeing the aluminum Macbook for $1299. I've been waiting for WWDC to purchase it in case of some new updates, however, I would like to purchase sometime at the end of June because I leave for a 2 month trip July 8th and would love to bring my Mac with me. I just saw the updates to the white Mac and I was wondering if it's worth waiting for the unibody anymore and if I should just purchase the white one? At this point, what's a better purchase? Thanks.

2. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that an update to the aluminum macbooks is imminent. Wait until you absolutely have to buy or a refresh happens, whichever happens first.

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

If a small bump in processor speed seems like a big thing to you, then I would recommend that you wait for purchasing as I suspect that we will see some small update at WWDC. We also might see a redesigned battery in the unibody MacBooks as well to reflect that of the 17" MBP, but I am not entirely sure how likely that is. But don't expect any huge update at WWDC like a redesign of the casing or anything like that, but a few small things may be changed/added.

And as to which is a better computer, I would have to say the Unibody-MacBook only because it is a better casing, I have the white plastic MacBook and it scratches, shows dirt and wear, and cracks like you wouldn't believe. For the single issue of the case cracking I would recommend getting the Unibody-MacBook.

4. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

I suggest that if you need a computer 'now', buy it now and don't wait. However, if you need it eventually, then wait and buy it when you need it.

No matter if you buy it now or later, there will always be a new(er) model right around the corner. :eek:

I still like the white MBs the best of the 13" series (I had a black one and loved it).

5. Dale Cooper macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

I don't thing the little speedbump to the white macbook makes that much of a difference (I doubt it's noticable for 9 out of 10 tasks). The extra money for the unibody goes into its construction/design, not the performance. However, it is perhaps likely that the unibody will be updated pretty soon to match the white macbook processorwise - I would wait until after WWDC if I were you. Its just days now, and you should still have time to make a purchase .

I've personally had two white macbooks, and have been quite happy. But both of them have eventually started to crack up, and I'll be buying the alu macbook or a secondhand pro later this summer to get something more solid (for university use). No matter which one you choose, you've made a good decision to buy your first mac!

6. mrbeaverhousen thread starter macrumors member

yeah I think I'm just gonna wait. 2 more weeks of waiting isn't that bad lol.

Also, for the back to school promotion, you pay for the iPod on the spot right? And then get the rebate?

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

From Apple's website
    "2. Buy an iPod touch.
    Purchase your Mac and iPod touch at the same time to qualify for your online rebate.*

3. Submit your rebate.
    After you receive your Mac and iPod, submit your claim online by October 8, 2009. Once your claim has been submitted, check your rebate status at any time.

8. inmotion macrumors member

not that its entirely relevant but i just wanted to add that as a undegrad who just graduated (well, ceremony is coming up in June)... make sure you get AppleCare.
    being an junior IT at the University i was at, i didn't think it was worth spending the money as i thought i would be able to do most repairs myself... WRONG.

Under warranty repairs: 2 new batteries (the whole recall business back in 06-07) + Magsafe (melted cable)

Out of warranty repairs: replace broken superdrive = 300+ $CA, Magsafe (the one they gave me after the whole melting cable situation stopped working within 6 months and they wouldn't give me a new one for free despite my arguing)

Repairs i would ask for but can't since i'm out of warranty = OVERHEATING (AKA: MANY CRASHES when working with Photoshop or Serato/Logic), failing hard drive (also partially due to crashes and overheating), probably failing logic board/graphic card as the screen sometimes goes crazy with distortion at random places, and the most recent... no more wifi signal (I'm in the same room as my Airport Extreme AND Express yet I can only occasionally connect to them, in fact, I'm using an ethernet cord to write this post).

So yea, bottom line. Get Applecare.. it'll save you from a lot of trouble and college is enough stress as it is :rolleyes:

Good luck with your purchase!

PS: I still love my Macbook Pro to death (minus the times I wanted to chuck it out the window from frustration), I am a power user and have beat the crap out of this machine and if it wasn't for OSX, I probably would of had needed a new laptop much sooner.

Cheers!