First time Mac owner.... Loving it !!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by towboattrash34, Jan 13, 2012.

1. towboattrash34 macrumors member

I've had computer since the old packard from hell 33mhz...
    I finally broke down and bought a macbook pro 13.3 I7 2.8ghz.. and i'm Loving it.
    Once you go Mac you will not go back....hehehehe

Yes no computer is perfect,and i know there will be problems with this 1 but i don't think i'll ever buy another pc. I have 3 windows computers that i had to get new hdd's as the old1's went out,1 rooted Toshiba Thrive,1 iPad2 3G,2 Jailbroke Ip4

Now i do have bootcamp with windows installed cause there is a couple programs i have to run on windows, but the mac side can do 90% of what i need.
    I would like to get a ssd (cause that 5400rpm hdd is so outdated, i don't know why they put them in)and more ram, but for now it is just fine.

What are the First Must Do 10 Things or so after getting a Mac ?

2. macfan74318 macrumors member

3. hooneyrob macrumors member

From a productivity standpoint, install Pages, Numbers and Keynote. Lion's version's and auto-saving works well. Pixelmator is a great app is well for photo / graphics work.. Then take a look at iCloud functionality - needs a delete function for photo's which is imminent I believe..

I have a 2011 2.2 15 Pro - use it for gaming as well as productivity (BootCamp) although I never get the time. My SSD is 128GB, way too small really but so quiet and performs well..

What will you be using your Mac for?

4. bmacir macrumors 6502

Be careful, it's addictive. You'll want more of it. :D

5. jadot macrumors 6502

jadot

It depends on what's important to you. A small computer is much like any other if you're surfing the internet, sending emails, ummm, surfing the internet.
    If you're playing games, you'll probably need a console.
    If you're producing photography or film or music you'll probably want a larger screen for starters.
    The number one thing I'd do if I was new to Macs would be to get everything (music) from my iTunes library onto iTunes match and then watch some movies in bed. Have a look at the Mac App store and download some stuff. Also, start up a savings account for when you inevitably have to pay for stuff that you want to 'improve' your magical Mac experience.
    That's pretty much all there is to it, really.

6. mzjin macrumors 6502

mzjin

Office is preferable...

iCloud and its "documents" capability is still in its infancy. iCloud itself is too unsophisticated for more than basic email/contacts/calendar syncing usage. Dropbox is still the gold standard.

An SSD helps, but there are still no perfect SSDs out there. A 256gb drive for $256 dollars that performs well and doesn't have fatal crashing problems is what we're still waiting for. A 750gb Seagate Momentus is a decent solution until then, but what it really needs is a 32gb version that can store the entire OS on the SSD portion.

Must have apps:

Bettersnaptool
    Sparrow
    Evernote
    ATMonitor

I also use HandBrake on my iMac, but I don't bother with my Quad Core i7 MBP because it's still a little too slow. MindNode, Snapheal, VLC, are also good apps to have.

7. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

^^ This.

To the OP - congratulations. I bought our first MBP in 2008 to replace the windows box that the wife & kids used, which I ended up re-imaging every 3 months or so. Today the only windows box left is one of the multi boot partitions on my home lab box.

8. hooneyrob macrumors member

I'd agree with that to be honest but, as a new user, iCloud is interesting as it's part of the Apple strategy moving forward and as it's free I'd at least give it a go..

I prefer Pages to Word - it's more user friendly but I guess it depends on how much expertise you have.

9. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

I feel the same way. It did take me a little while to figure it out and and adjust to something I am comfortable with (mainly finder) but now I love it. I learn something new every day on this machine.

10. towboattrash34 thread starter macrumors member

the 13.3 is just right for me .. I have the 750gb split with windows and on both sides i have used 3/4 of both drives.. I would love a ssd but anything less than 500gb is too small
    i had all the big 17 and 15" and have an iPad and was tired of windows, granted it has its place, i travel alot so light is important.
    I'm not into gaming, do some graphic work and other stuff. I have most pdf,microsoft excel,adobe css5,some other video software.

I don't care for the ugly stacks.... i read on here somewhere on here about changing them.

What about saving/backing up the computer and maintenance and updates ?

11. MrBullet macrumors member

Again, from a Productivity point of view install Pages, Keynote, Numbers for general work. I highly recommend all 3 programmes however if you want to stay with Windows, the basic package of Mac is around £79 here in the UK.

I use Evernote all the time, cracking app. I also recommend FlipTab Facebook and Twitter.

In terms of games, Asphalt Adrenaline is a must. Quality racing game. Angry birds and COD4 are my other favourites.

12. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Be afraid, be very afraid....Very soon you will have a collection like mine...one is good, then you get two and the whole thing spirals out of control...( see my profile) Welcome to Mac!

13. towboattrash34 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I'll take a look. The only reason for windows is 2 diff enging tuning software.

14. Jake99 macrumors member

First time Mac user..! Welcome!

I remember my early days after spending decades on windows machines. Here are some things to do:

1. Enjoy the fresh and fun world of using a Mac! Play around with the software that comes with it. I remember when I got mine I had a good time just looking at everything

2. If you want to use the Mac mail client for your gmail or yahoo mail or whatever you have, set that up. Works really well.

3. If you don't have an iTunes account, set one up

4. Browse the App Store. There is are so many cool apps out there! To download you need an iTunes account so that is why step #3 (aside from the obvious desire to have your music on your new mac)

5. Download Angry Birds and enjoy playing it on your new Mac!

6. If you have software that only runs in Windows, that you need to use (Such as Microsoft Project for example), get your win 7 license and a copy of parallels. Parallels creates a virtual windows machine on your desktop, that you can fire up any time you want to and run your windows programs while you are still booted up in OSX. I have been using it for a couple of years and it is awesome. Not great for gaming (if you want to do windows gaming I advise bootcamp) but for normal productivity apps that run on windows, its great. I have mine set up this way, so my Macbook is versatile and can run windows stuff when I need it to.

7. Get an external HD, and set up time machine to do backups of your HD. And make sure you do it regularly

8. Find another friend with a Mac and do your first FaceTime call. FaceTime is very cool!

9. Practice your OSX Lion gestures for your multitouch pad. You will be surprised how easy it is to learn and is a great way to navigate.

10. Sit back and smile, life just got a bit better for you with a new Mac. :)

15. towboattrash34 thread starter macrumors member

I have an iPad2 3G (Hopefully ,2 Jailbroke Ip4 and a rooted Toshiba Thrive..so i'm up on that stuff.
    All apple stuff /mail,contacts and what not/cloud..set up and synced.

I do have Bootcamp setup with windows 7 Legal copy..lol.. I figured bootcamp would be better than vmware. And everything loaded and working good.

So far everything is going great.. Wish i would of bought 1 sooner...