first time Mac owner (rMBP)...silly question

aj8690

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
Orlando, Florida, USA
Hello all,

First off, this is my first post. I had been browsing the forums for several weeks before I finally bought my first Mac, the new Retina MacBook Pro (2.7/16/512). I have to tell you, I was pretty nervous about it after seeing all the complaints. However, I couldn't be more happy.

It came with Mountain Lion, and I received it on the day 10.8.1 was released (I updated before anything else), so maybe that made my experience more smooth. The screen is perfect as far as I can tell (it's Samsung, for what it's worth), it has no cosmetic defects, and no "creaks and squeaks."

I run in scaled 1680 mode, and I do experience some slight UI "stutter" occasionally, even on dGPU. I probably would not even have realized it was there if it hadn't been for all of you getting the idea of "this thing lags" in my head, so thanks a lot for that!!!! :p

So, to the point, (this might sound silly) but when I have the MacBook on my desk (where it is most of the time) and I try to open or close the lid, or even plug a USB in, it slides around very easily. Everything requires two hands. It's like the rubber feet are slippery and it's quite annoying. This did not happen with my old Dell. I am wondering if the MacBook Pros have always been this way, if it's just the rMBP, or if I have defective feet or something (unlikely, I know :p).

Thanks,

Andrew

Last edited:

Scuba-EMT

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2010
Solomons Island, MD
No issues, no defect, it the way it is, the MBP is so light there's little weight on the feet. I have mine on a cool pad which helps. I like to keep mine cooler as I run a VM with Windows 7 in order to use AutoCad.

----------

OBTW, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Mac!

aj8690

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
Orlando, Florida, USA
No issues, no defect, it the way it is, the MBP is so light there's little weight on the feet. I have mine on a cool pad which helps. I like to keep mine cooler as I run a VM with Windows 7 in order to use AutoCad.

----------

OBTW, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Mac!
Lol, that's what I figured. Thank you!!

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I actually went out and bought sticky feet at Hobby Lobby (for a much older MBP) and they come off eventually--just buy a bunch of them...

aj8690

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
Orlando, Florida, USA
I actually went out and bought sticky feet at Hobby Lobby (for a much older MBP) and they come off eventually--just buy a bunch of them...
I might have to go and do that. This is driving me crazy! I'm used to only needing one hand free to open/close lid, plug things in, etc.