first time Mac owner (rMBP)...silly question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aj8690, Aug 28, 2012.

1. aj8690, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

aj8690 macrumors member

aj8690

Hello all,

First off, this is my first post. I had been browsing the forums for several weeks before I finally bought my first Mac, the new Retina MacBook Pro (2.7/16/512). I have to tell you, I was pretty nervous about it after seeing all the complaints. However, I couldn't be more happy.

It came with Mountain Lion, and I received it on the day 10.8.1 was released (I updated before anything else), so maybe that made my experience more smooth. The screen is perfect as far as I can tell (it's Samsung, for what it's worth), it has no cosmetic defects, and no "creaks and squeaks."

I run in scaled 1680 mode, and I do experience some slight UI "stutter" occasionally, even on dGPU. I probably would not even have realized it was there if it hadn't been for all of you getting the idea of "this thing lags" in my head, so thanks a lot for that!!!! :p

So, to the point, (this might sound silly) but when I have the MacBook on my desk (where it is most of the time) and I try to open or close the lid, or even plug a USB in, it slides around very easily. Everything requires two hands. It's like the rubber feet are slippery and it's quite annoying. This did not happen with my old Dell. I am wondering if the MacBook Pros have always been this way, if it's just the rMBP, or if I have defective feet or something (unlikely, I know :p).

Thanks,

Andrew

2. Scuba-EMT macrumors regular

Scuba-EMT

No issues, no defect, it the way it is, the MBP is so light there's little weight on the feet. I have mine on a cool pad which helps. I like to keep mine cooler as I run a VM with Windows 7 in order to use AutoCad.

----------

OBTW, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Mac!

3. aj8690 thread starter macrumors member

aj8690

Lol, that's what I figured. Thank you!!

4. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Yep, the pads are sorta plasticy and hard, thus more slippery than rubber feet.

5. Idefix macrumors 6502

I actually went out and bought sticky feet at Hobby Lobby (for a much older MBP) and they come off eventually--just buy a bunch of them...

6. aj8690 thread starter macrumors member

aj8690

I might have to go and do that. This is driving me crazy! I'm used to only needing one hand free to open/close lid, plug things in, etc.