First Time "Mac" owner. Upgrade questions.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Android300zx, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Android300zx macrumors regular

Hey guys I just traded my Moto Xoom tablet for a 2009 Macbook.

The specs are:

2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB DDR3 RAM
    320GB HDD

I think I did really well on this deal being that this is worth more than my Xoom and it was an even trade.

Now I want to know what the max amount of RAM this laptop can support. I was looking at a website that said 8GB but Crucial says it's 4GB max. I just want to get information.

I plan to convert the disc drive into an SSD and use my disc drive externally in an enclosure. The laptop is currently white but I'm thinking on swapping the keyboard to black since it looks better. I will be doing the work myself.

Any recommendations on apps to download. I haven't been in the Mac scene in a while. I purchased this because I want to teach myself Python. I had a hackintosh Dell Mini 9.

Thanks in advanced guys. This is my first post be gentle.

2. BigDukeSix macrumors 6502a

BigDukeSix

3. Android300zx thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks BigDuke. I guess Crucial doesn't sell that size. That's awesome I'll give that article a read. I definitely want this to last me at least 2 more years before I get my next one.

4. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Hey, Android300zx. I just put 8GB of Corsair RAM in my Late '09 MacBook and it runs fine.

5. Android300zx thread starter macrumors regular

Sweet. Yeah I saw some on Amazon for $40. I'm going to buy one.

6. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a good trade to me.

I think apple officially supports 4GB, but the machine can handle 8.

The site for parts is great. I buy my stuff from them and never had a problem.

If you just want stats on the computer, go to www.everymac.com. It can tell you everything you want to know about a mac.

7. Android300zx thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah that's the website that told me it supports up to 8GB. I'm assuming my warranty is expired on this laptop. Does anyone know how far Apple will allow you to buy an extended warranty. If not then that's ok because I intend on fixing this up myself.

The Xoom was good but I needed a laptop. Tablets just aren't there yet to fully replace a laptop.

8. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Great deal ;)

A few python tips:

http://www.enthought.com/
    They offer a free mini-distro of python which is quite useful. In particular I like iPython as replacement for the normal python console - it comes as part of enthought.

I looked a bit into python GUI programming. I came across http://www.kivy.org which is quite cute and simple to use. Of course there is many more, pyQt, TK, pyGUI, and so on.

9. Android300zx thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the links. I will add it to my list. I have a lot of reading to do this weekend.

10. unixperience macrumors regular

I cant guarantee this will work, but its the macbook pro closest to your mac http://www.crucial.com/store/listpa...nch DDR3) MB990LL/A Mid-2009&pl=Apple&cat=RAM

i have an alum macbook, and i just bought this ram (8gigs), and it works fine no problems, had it for... maybe 8 months, works great, never had any issues. the reason they don't have the 8gb under the macbook is either because it isn't OFFICIALLY supported, or because the fix (allowing older macbooks to support 8 gigs) didn't come around till maybe march or june of last year, and almost no company is going to go back and fix the product line for such "old" computers. if you dont believe this ram will work thats fine, but note its the same your comp uses now, cl-7, 1066MHz non Ecc, ddr3 pc8500.

I dont know if this is true anymoe, but try to buy memory made for mac, apparently mac uses slightly unique timing, I bought 8 gigs that wasn't specifically for mac, maybe a month or two before i got the crucial, and it didn't work at all, the computer would kernel panic within seconds of booting.

as for the apple care i dont think it would work, heres what the apple site says "The AppleCare Protection Plan can be purchased only while your Mac is still covered under the standard one-year limited warranty. See AppleCare Protection Plan Terms and Conditions for complete product details." in addition to this, it only covers the comp 3 years from original purchase date, so assuming the comp was bought in 09, you would only get maybe a year and a half of care out of it... besides the fact its probably too late to get it anyway

11. Android300zx thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I went to the Apple Warranty checker and it won't give me information because it says I have to show Proof of Purchase to check my warranty.

I got this from a kid and ran a command in Terminal to create a new Admin account to wipe his out. His account didn't have a password set but I preferred to set it up from scratch.