first time mac user few questions on installing and strange Audio sound

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by harlem, Aug 30, 2010.

1. harlem macrumors member

Hi guys,

just received my 6-core today!

i'm installing everything on it, Adobe...etc but i have a few questions and hope you fine people could help me out:

- i did all the software updates and when i look at "About this mac" it says Mac OSX 10.6.4, is this the latest and greatest osx version?

- I have my stereo connected to the back of the MacPro are the following settings correct "system performances- sound:

output = Line out - Audio line out port
    input = none

Reason i ask this is all the sound is playing ok except while installing Adobe there was this loud "POF" trough my speaker set ? :confused: after about 50Min again this loud POF? is this some kind of faulty hardware problem or ...?

- Final question: when i install VLC player ot anny other software there is this file that shows up on the desktop ...after installation can i just remove this? because after i remove it and try to use VLC it says it can't find the player.

sorry if my questions seem a bit stupid, the most i'm concerned with this weird loud PAF trough the speakers or is this nothing to worrie about?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Uninstalling Applications
    Installing Applications.

The audio setting is right, but the sound you hear is not. Have you tried another cable or just without it to just check if the same sound occurs?

Also have a look at the following links (if you haven't already), as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. harlem thread starter macrumors member

whenever i startup my mac, the start up sound comes trough the computer case speakers, how do i make it so that i don't hear them trough the computer speakers but trough my plugged in speakers?

also looks as if my macpro has a problem i'm going to call Apple tommorow about the plof sound i always hear. i tried another cable yet still same problem...what do they normaly do with this, ship me a new machine or do i need to send it in for repair, i just received it today and having it repaired emediatly would be a bit to much for a 4000$ computer wright?

4. goMac macrumors 603

Haven't been able to do this since the G5 days, sorry.

Are you sure it's not a bad set of speakers? Have you tried another machine?

5. harlem thread starter macrumors member

Ok, got my old computer to work again...not 1 strange click or noise. So its safe to say its the Mac.

So how should this work, does this mean i have to ship it back and weight for them to repair a newly delivered 4000$ MacPro....do i get a New machine and get to keep this one till they deliver the new machine and do a switch?

it really weird, like i was just putting the volume up with my keybord and like 5 sec later there is this really loud POP trough the speakers...you could compare it a bid with plugin in a jack in or out in an amplifier...nothing wrong with the sound tho...just this loud POP every now and then

what a turn off for my first mac:(

You guys think they will ship a new one or is it going to be a refurb "if" they ship a "new" one...or does this mean i'll have to get it repaired?

6. harlem thread starter macrumors member

could someone please shed some light on this. and maybe tell if this is a problem with the mac pro/hardware maybe sound card related.

Here's what i did, i have put the sound on mute via the keyboard, thinking if i muted the sound of the mac pro and if the loud pop that i hear every now and then ( for no particular reason) should still be there the problem wouldn't be mac related. So after doing this after like 30min. there was the loud POP.

is it safe to say that when the sound is on mute and the pop was still there it related to something else and not the mac pro? or doesn't it mean anything that the poping sound was still there even when all sound was muted and it could still be a faulty macpro?

maybe a stupid question but could this have anything to do with the electricity net...with the mac pro using allot of power...i just noticed a sligthly popping sound trough my speakers when i turn the light in my room on/off. Never had this with my previous computer.

7. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

First of all, as you have a new machine I'd call Apple and get their help.

Turning the lights on and off should not affect the computer.

You might try changing the Sound In selection. Maybe it was left in an odd state and setting it to something will help. Set it to Line In.

System Preferences
    Sound
    Input

8. goMac macrumors 603

If your speakers are powered it's very likely your speakers.

The Mac Pro really isn't shooting that much power to your speakers. That's why your speakers have their own power plug.

9. harlem thread starter macrumors member

contacted Apple and i have to say "Darn good customer service" the lady who helped me was very friendly and understanding, she told me that they will be shipping a new one and apologized for the inconvenience.

They even let me keep this one till i get the new one so i won't be stuck without a computer and Finnish my work.

Oh and i'm starting to get the feeling somethings really wrong with this one, few hours ago i started noticing that it was lagging allot for example when clicking on the documents folder in the dock, sometimes it just opened soooo slooooow or like freezes...not normal for a 3.33 6-core

i had spent 5 hours to get everything installed, now i have to deactivate all the keys and remove everything again...:eek:

10. harlem thread starter macrumors member

ok guys, after having loud clicks or pops trough my external and internal speakers i contacted Apple and they decided to send me a new machine (6-core 3,33Ghz)...

It arrived yesterday and guess what...its the EXACT same problem as i had with the mac they replaced:mad:

What now?
    How do i ******* fix it because its simply no fun working on this machine, hate to call the Apple people again explaining them that the second computer has the exact same problem, they are probably going to say its not the mac since this one has the same problem but i'm 100% sure its the computer, when i have my headphones plugged into the front i also get these loud clicks from time to time.

will they ship another one or are they going to treat me as if I'm a complete idiot again who doesn't know how to plug in external speakers

is anybody else experiencing this problem with the new MP's ?

11. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

12. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

this is hilarious, you actually send back your computer after having "pof"-sounds in your speakers for ONE DAY and not doing any other troubleshooting besides trying them out in your old computer.

13. goMac macrumors 603

I told you, it sounds like your speakers, not the machine. My speakers also used to pop every so often no matter what is plugged into them. It could be the power line, it could be a lot of things.

14. harlem thread starter macrumors member

yeah it really is hillarious:rolleyes:

look man, i have tested the damn thing like 24hours straight even took it at a friends house and tested it on his installation, same problem occurred. called Apple about the problem again (after doing the tests they recommended) then Apple itself offered to ship me a new machine.

Now ofcourse i don't know about you but spending 5000$ on a machine that sounds as if there some explosion going on all the time isn't really what i was looking forward to when buying this computer, also i'd rather had a working one without going trough the trouble of spending hours and hours trying to figure out whats wrong and eventually spending precious time un-installing everything again and re-installing the new computer witch took about 4 hours to just set the ting up.

part from that, its all fun getting a computer that don't work the way it should, especially when paying hard earned money for it...who wouldn't want to get a faulty computer ey?

@goMac - And again this is "NOT" a speaker problem, even when the speakers are not plugged in the same crack can be heard trough the build in speakers and headphone output in the front of the computer. i'm guessing it has something to do with either sound card causing the problem or hard disk drive.

Either way you put it, it shouldn't have this problem point blank, were not talking ipods here, its an expensive machine, and Apple needs to just give me a machine that works, its not as if every macpro has this problem now is it? so unless every macpro has the same issue I'm saying its a defect that needs to be sorted out.

15. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

16. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Hilarious until it's your Mac, I bet.