First time Mac user here, hdmi/mini display question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zero216, Dec 27, 2011.

1. zero216, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

zero216 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I've had an iPhone for a few years now, but have always been a PC guy. For xmas, my fiancé bought me a new Macbook - 15 inch screen, 2.4ghz, 750gb HD, intel core 7, etc. Nice little machine that I am just learning how to use haha...much different from what I'm used to!

Anyways, I'm wondering about the lack of HDMI ports. I ordered a 3rd party mini display port to HDMI converter, but realize now that it's now the Griffin model that Apple recommends...it's an aftermarket brand? So, two questions:

1. Is there any audio/video quality loss when going mini-display to HDMI as opposed to straight up HDMI?
    2. Is there something wrong with purchasing an aftermarket brand? I read somewhere that there might be audio issues?

Thanks!

2. The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

Most Apple-branded accessories are a ripoff. I've used a cheap Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter for a very long time and it works just fine.

I don't know if there's a difference between mini-HDMI and HDMI, but my best guess is that there isn't a noticeable image/audio quality difference between the two.

3. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

1) No.
    2) It's always possible, so make sure your aftermarket is always brand name. Griffin is a great place to choose from.