First time Mac user - Need a mouse - please help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fish7, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Fish7 macrumors newbie

I just purchased my first Mac (MacBook Pro with retina) and am having trouble getting my mouse to work correctly.

I have a Logitech Anywhere MX Wireless mouse.

The front and back buttons on my mouse work correctly, but the middle button does not. In windows, the middle button on this mouse opens a new tab while in a browser. On my Mac it doesn't.

I opened System Preferences > Mouse, but the only settings I have is to adjust the tracking speed, scrolling speed, double click speed, and which button is primary (left or right). No options to customize the buttons.

After some searching the web, I came across "Logitech Control Center". I downloaded that hoping that would give me options to customize my buttons. Unfortunately, it doesn't give me the option to make my middle button open new tabs.

To my surprise, neither Apple or Logitech were able to help me so I'm turning to the experts here :)

Can I get this Logitech Anywhere MX Wireless Mouse to control forward, back, and open new tabs?

If not, what wireless mouse would you suggest that will allow me these basic mouse functions?

Thanks so much in advance for any help!!!

2. stevelam macrumors 65816

download bettertouchtool. you can assign custom mouse functions to do whatever you want.

3. jcpb macrumors 6502a

The middle button on mine brings up Mission Control (or Show Desktop, Dashboard, Launchpad, or app windows).

4. bamaster macrumors member

I'm using SteerMouse. It's free to try, but $20 to keep.

It can assign all kinds of action to my Anywhere MX mouse. I have the middle button opening up a new tab, too. Most importantly, I have the cursor speed more like Windows. I hate the way OSX slows down the cursor around buttons and whatnot.

I recommend trying it. It does pretty much everything.

5. kahuna0k macrumors member

you can configure buttons shortcut for launchpad and mission control, i have a logitech anywhere mx (great mouse, would be the best if bluetooth, too few usb ports to spend one for the mouse). I have assigned button 4 and 5 to launchpad and mission control, leaving button three unassigned, so now it works as expected opening links in new tab.

6. Fish7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.

kahuna0k, how were you able to configure the buttons on the Anywhere MX mouse with your Mac?

7. wingingman macrumors newbie

Just setup the mission control to the bake or font key and then you can setup the middle button to regular click.

Then you can chose the middle click.

Good luck.