First Time Mac user urging for advice!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TravelGuy003, Dec 23, 2008.

1. TravelGuy003 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I am planning on getting a Macbook Pro in about a week, but I need some help.

First of all, I just want you to know that I really am brand new to Mac so if I ask something easy please understand that I am new!

1. Ok, one of my questions is with sortware. I currently live in Taiwan, and I came here after graduating from college in May. I want to know about Macs in Taiwan. What I mean is, does it make a difference if I buy a Mac in Taiwan or the United States, or any country for that matter?

2. Since I am in Taiwan, the Mac has Chinese on it, but the people at the Apple stores have told me I can just switch the language to English. Does this mean that if I switch it to English everything will be in English or only a few things? For example, if I switch it to Enligsh, will all my programs also be in English?

3. When I go back to the states (in about 3 months) will I be able to buy software from the Apple stores and install it even if I bought my Mac here in Taiwan?

4. Ok this is a dork question I know but here it goes...I like to play World of Warcraft, so will I still be able to install it on a Macbook Pro using the same cds that I used to install it on my PC?

I'm not too sure, but I am thinking a Mac is similar to an iPod Touch in that I can easily change the languages and download and use any applications I want even if it is in a different laguage. Is that kind of a good way to compare it?

I guess the biggest concern I have is with the language/software. I really want to know if I will be just fine even though I bought a Macbook Pro in Taiwan? I can't speak Chinese or read it all. I hope my questions make sense, and thank you for look at this post!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You will need to install Windows to use Windows games.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

First of all, your guess about languages is correct - if you change the preferred system language to English, all the applications will switch to English too.

As for software (and Mac hardware, for that matter), no - it doesn't make any difference at all. If the software supports the version of Mac OS X you have, it'll install and run.

World of Warcraft? Don't know - I've never used it. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is true - however, some games are distributed on dual-platform discs (Mac OS X and Windows). I don't know if WoW is such a game or not.

5. bartelby macrumors Core

WoW is one of those that is..

6. TravelGuy003 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Hey guys, thanks for the information. I was just a little nervous about the language stuff and also the software, but it seems to be fine. I could wait to get a Mac when I go back to the States, but I just can't wait any longer! Thank you for your information.

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Just something to be aware of is that MacWorld is coming up in January. Even though the MacBooks are relatively new there is the slight possibility of updates to the range. I would wait until after MacWorld before you purchase. Many will agree with me even though the chance is slight. :)

8. TravelGuy003 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, sorry I just posted and I saw yours. I didn't know about macworld. I will have to check it out. I am really new to Macintosh stuff, so of course I wouldn't have heard of it.

Oh....sorry about this. I just looked it up a little bit and its the Macintosh convention or something like that isnt it? Ok, so thats in Jan. and after that Mac might make some upgrades and stuff. I will definately look more into it. Thanks.

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Unfortunately its going to be the last one. Its an annual trade show where many of the Apple developers etc show off their latest stuff; Apple included. Usually Apple would announce new products at this event but this year seems to be quite quiet on the rumor front regarding what may or may not be released (if anything).

As the MacBook is still 'new' it is quite unlikely that it will get updated at MacWorld in January but Apple do like to spring a few surprises now and then and they may give them a little processor speed bump.

The biggest news would be a release date and demo on the upcoming version of OSX (10.6 - Snow Leopard). The other very big news would be an iPhone nano but this seems a little bit 'out there' in the rumor department and is most likely a false rumor. That being said all this we will never know until MacWorld comes around.

10. TravelGuy003 thread starter macrumors newbie

Those rumors sound nice especially the iPhone Nano.

Let me ask you guys another question I forgot to ask. What is the deal with viruses and spyware with the Mac? For the PC theres are so many programs to protect it, but I've heard on the Mac it doesn't need it.

I was just curious about can a user get a virus or spyware on a Mac? Is there software I should buy to help prevent viruses or spyware?

11. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

It all comes down to preference. There has never been a virus for OSX as far as I'm aware (6 years I think). There have been and are one or two (literraly one or two) trojans out there that require you to download the file, open it and then input your admin password for it to work. You have to be pretty stupid to do all that on a file you arent sure about but alas some people have been caught out. :rolleyes:

If you receive a file infected with a PC virus it won't do anything to your machine but you are still able to forward that on to another PC.

I personally don't use Virus protection. Many on MacRumors don't either. It's all down to preference.