First Time Mac User Worries

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OriginalNot, Jul 27, 2010.

1. OriginalNot macrumors member

Well I've just recently received my first Mac, 13" MBP base 2010. I have a couple of concerns about it though, maybe I'm just paranoid but I don't know Mac's well enough to rule out a legitimate problem so here goes.

1.During Super Drive Usage at high speeds with a variety of discs (CD burning, Starcraft 2, Spore, Etc) I experience what I believe to be an excessive vibration in the drive. At times the whole computer feels like an electronic massager, normal? Any suggestions?

2.Grinding sound on boot up. It could either be the hard drive or the super drive, and I'm thinking the later. Is this normal? Happens very close together with the ding sound the grey screen makes... if that sound is off it seems very loud.

3.When playing back video files often during playback an after image will be left on the screen until the scene changes completely. It's a bit hard to describe, almost as if part of the video has frozen and the other part keeps moving but pixilated on the edges. Will happen most frequently on a close up of someone talking, the background freezes and there head keeps trying to move but gets distorted.

2. sadcamper macrumors regular

#2 is normal...push the power button, dvd-drive makes a funny noise, followed by the Apple "ding".

Can't help you with the other two...but #1 sounds normal-ish to me, and #3 sounds like a memory issue with graphics card.

3. OriginalNot thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info on #2, glad to hear that's normal.

Still curious about the other two.

4. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

My MacBook and Older PowerBook G4 and Older iMac all do this, I assume it's normal by now.

5. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

all of those concerns are completely normal.
    It's louder than other laptops mainly because of the construction of the MBP.
    It checks for a disk every time the mac boots up.
    I experience the same thing especially when using VLC with some digital files. Nothing to worry about.

6. OriginalNot thread starter macrumors member

Is this for drive spinning? If so I guess I should clarify it's not a sound the drive makes while spinning. The whole computer vibrates. It feels like a massager on my lap or palms.

7. jim9112 macrumors newbie

The noise and a little vibration is normal, sounds like your vibration is a little much. Your not moving around a lot or holding your computer at some crazy angles with the drive spinning??

8. moel macrumors 6502

2 is normal

3 is down to a slightly corrupted video file, or for some reason the computer isn't quite keeping up with the decoding process. usually it's a few dodgy 1's and 0's if you've "downloaded" said video file.

1 sounds like some sort of imbalance in the dvd drive...take it to Apple store and see what they think.