First Time MacBook Buyer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MRyanCA, Mar 16, 2008.

1. MRyanCA macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

As I get ready to purchase a new laptop, I'm about to finally take the plunge and enter the Mac world.

While I won't need the laptop until August when I begin law school, I've begun looking and am torn about which laptop I want to get.

I only plan to search the internet, maybe download a couple movies, and write papers on the laptop (I'm saving all my graphic-hog programs and stuff for my PC desktop)

I'm leaning towards the MacBook Air but am concerned that the lower CPU speed will pose a problem sooner than later.

How often does Apple release a new version of their laptops? In other words, is it likely that Apple will release a new, faster version of the Air (or MacBook Pro for that matter) this summer?

Thanks for your help

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Now is a good time to buy the Air, and the processor (especially 1.8) is plenty fast enough.

3. Domofloge macrumors regular

Domofloge

If you have the extra money to spend definitely purchase the MBA. However, from your description I would tell you to buy a MB. Thats what I have and I love it... It is light (not as light as the MBA) and its powerful.

4. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

Updates come every 6-8 months, you should be due for one around your August purchase date, make sure you dont buy the old model.

5. izibo macrumors 6502

You wont need the CPU power in law school. LexisNexis won't get any faster :)

6. n1ght macrumors member

That's not true. The next round of low-voltage small-form-factor Intel processors won't be released until September. http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9893748-1.html?%5E$

Even then, the Air may not be upgraded with them for another month or so. The February MacBook update added processors released the month before.

7. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

I'd suggest a regular MacBook. It's not that thick or heavy, and it doesn't have ANY sacrifices compared to the MBA. Just my 2 cents.

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Agreed. Save the eight hundred dollars for food, gas money, a new backpack, whatever.

9. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

An Apple Store Genius told me MacBooks aren't called laptops :/
    He said because they don't belong on your lap because they get hot.
    Or is it just because they don't wanna replace mine??:rolleyes:

But get the MacBook. Use the rest of the money on an iPhone or something of that sort :D

10. f1 macrumors 6502

I would get a base model Macbook Pro if you can afford it, the extra screen space will come in handy when you have a billion documents open on your screen; will happen often in law school. If not a midrange macbook would suit your needs well too.

11. viconi macrumors newbie

MacBook would suit your needs well, the MBA is great too!

12. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

This is what I had based my analysis on:

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/02/27/next-macbook-and-macbook-pro-updates-in-june/

You're right though, that the MBA might not see a refresh alongside the MB and the MBP. Regardless, the update should come between June and September, which are all close to the OP's August purchasing date.

13. TravisReynolds macrumors regular

TravisReynolds

in my opinion, do not buy the air. Buy the MacBook.

The MacBook air is more expensive, lacks an optical drive and doesnt have a very big HD

The MacBook is cheaper and would be perfect for the tasks you ask for it

14. trinity.ilmange macrumors newbie

don't know what ur doing now but you can get quite a discount as a student!

maybe it's worth waiting until august

15. CamaroRS4me macrumors newbie

The MacBook is a 'hoss with the multi-task capabilities.... if just for the extra power if you needed it I'd highly recomend the MacBook. This has been my first mac since i was in middle school and my school had macs. First post too, to show how strongly I advise the regular MacBook if you could stand the little extra heft for the extra included hardware versus the Air!