First time Macbook Owner...need some guidance

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by peeaanuut, Aug 28, 2008.

1. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

So last night I was finally able to get my new Macbook. I am getting ready to go on a trip and needed a laptop and could not way for the new ones as there is no guaranteed date of arrival and if I would get it in time. Plus I dont like going through the hastle of the new ones coming out because of past issues I have read about before.

Anyways, since this is my first macbook, is there anything I need to be on the lookout for? I got the 2.4GHz Black macbook. What is the best way to maintain my battery? Charge all the time? Charge only when getting low? Any specific software I should get. I will be traveling with the macbook as well as school plus field photography so anything in those fields would be helpful.

let me know if there is anything I need to get right away or think aobut getting right away.

Thx!!

2. ShaneR macrumors member

DO NOT leave your macbook plugged in all the time, you have to let the battery cycle quite often or you'll lose a significant amount of your batteries lifetime. You want to use the battery about 1/3 the time and you can leave it charging or plugged in the rest. Also, it's best to leave your macbook on and let it sleep instead of turning it off constantly, as that is rumoured to wear down the hardware quicker. That's unless you are not going to be using it for a day+ or so. And you can even unplug it over night while its asleep to save some electricity.

3. peeaanuut thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you for that. I left it plugged in all night last night because it was the first time it would be fully charged, but ill keep the sleep method in mind. This will quite shortly become my main computer, with the mIni getting shoved into another room.