First-time Macbook Pro buyer questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alphatiger, Aug 20, 2014.

1. alphatiger macrumors newbie

I just bought a used early 2011 Macbook Pro from Amazon with mavericks installed, but it doesn't come with the original disks. Do I need to order replacement disks from Apple, or can I just use a retail Snow leopard disk?

2. bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

Why do you want 5 years old OS on your laptop ?

OS X 10.6.6 is the oldest you can install.

3. alphatiger thread starter macrumors newbie

I've read that I might have problems if I ever need to reinstall mavericks since I didn't download it with my apple ID, and I would need the os that the laptop originally shipped with.

4. ChasInVictoria macrumors newbie

ChasInVictoria

Well, why don't you download Mavericks with your Apple ID and reinstall the system so that the machine is really yours?

5. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

you don't need the old grey disks unless you want to run the Apple Hardware Test.

No need to install the old Snow leopard OS. What you can do is download mavericks and burn it on a dual layer dvd or USB of the meantime and reformat and set up your macbook again, so it will be brand new :cool:

6. alphatiger thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Here is what you do... login to the App Store with your own AppleID and "purchase" the free Mavericks upgrade and cancel the download. Now you have Mavericks attached to your AppleID.

Now download this utility from Apple and use it with a 1GB or larger USB key to make yourself a recovery key.

Now if say your hard drive completely dies you can install a new drive then option key boot from the USB key and format the new drive and use the recovery utility on the key to DL and install Mavericks with your own AppleID.