First-Time MacBook Pro Buyer: Used or New?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by naturalhanglider, Dec 30, 2015.

1. naturalhanglider macrumors newbie

naturalhanglider

I'm a Windows-user at heart, but as I work more in web development, I'm understanding the need to work on a Mac. I have the opportunity to buy a 13 in 2009 Macbook Pro (2.26GHz) for $500. Memory has been to bump it up from 2GB to 5GB and it has an updated hard drive.

There's no way I'd buy a Windows laptop that is nearly 6 years-old, but I know Macs last longer, but how much longer will this last and be able to make OS updates?

Any thoughts?

2. High Desert macrumors regular

It's my understanding that Apple just announced they are no longer going to support the 2008 Macbook. So, since what you are looking at is a 2009, I would be a bit concerned. There are people on this forum much more knowledgeable than me on the subject, but based on Apples position, this unit would be supported for 8 years, or to 2017. On the other hand, $500 plus cost for 3gb ram, you would have an inexpensive unit for several years compared to todays cost for laptops.

3. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Macs can last a long time. But to be honest that mac is a bit old. It probably wont run the newest version of the Mac OS that you may need, and the price seems a little high for such an old unit. You could probably find a new unit for about that price if not just a little bit more if you can do that.

4. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Yes, I can buy a 13" 2009 MBP off eBay for 350$ so why would you pay 500$ for the same? Do your research.

5. Gesturthor macrumors member

Or save up money for few months and buy a new macbook pro when it will be announced. Or buy the 2015 model at a discount.

6. alex.marton macrumors 6502

alex.marton

I've been looking on eBay, and I have found multiple ones for under $500 and they are from 2011. They use the Core i5/i7 processors instead of the Core 2 Duos. Which I think will be supported for a long time (possibly another 3-5 years). :) Have a good look on eBay, you'll find a lot. :)

BTW, I bought my first Mac in 2012, and never, but ever want to go back to a Windows machine unless it's my only choice. I have owned 4 Macs since, and all of them have been a real pleasure to use. :)

7. Trusteft macrumors 6502

Trusteft

Well if you work on web development you more than anyone else need to make sure the software you have will be updated/patched for the longest possible. You need to be online, you need to have access to the latest and greatest AND security.
    If the system you are looking into is going to be supported in that respect, go for it, though I can't comment on the price as I have zero research on that.

8. robvas macrumors 68020

I would not pay $500 for a 2009. You can get a 2012 for that price (assuming you're in the USA)

9. RoboWarriorSr macrumors 6502a

The Core 2 Duo is starting to struggle, not to the mention the anemic GPU, that computer is definitely going to be booted quite soon from the supported line up. Officially it will probably be software supported for a year or two (already hardware wise it is considered too old by Apple), I already replaced my 2009 with a 2015.

10. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

That's a terrible price.

I bought a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) for $400.

11. SeenJeen macrumors regular

Where?

Every site (craigslist, ebay, kijiji) I've visited, any Retina Mac goes for $700+

12. cdames00 macrumors member

cdames00

The one piece of advise id give is something my Dad ran into with his older Macbook of that age. As software updates outpace your Mac in the near future you are going to run into secure websites that you won't be able to access because your browser is not up to date. We were able to get around that briefly with third party browsers but even those became quick outdated.

13. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

I bought it from Craigslist and was told that it has issues.

...brought it in for free repair under the "MacBook Pro Repair Extension Program for Video Issues"

I got a replacement logic board, a new display assembly, and a new top case (with keyboard/touchpad and battery).

14. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Where do you live? There is literally a horde of 2012 non retina MBPs on eBay going for $500-$700 here in the US. That specific 2012 non retina 13" is literally the cheapest and most numerous/popular Mac in existence. Plus, Apple still sells this thing new, so you wouldn't have to worry about OS updates at all.

15. SoundsEclectic macrumors newbie

Don't fall for the logic that Apple laptops last longer because it's well... made by Apple. It has the same rate of failure as a Windows laptop in most cases in terms of hardware. In fact a 2009 probably has older hardware compared to a similar Windows PC.

Save that money for a new laptop. Maybe a lower end Air.