First Time MBP Buyer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by whichmbp, Jul 24, 2011.

1. whichmbp macrumors newbie

Hey everyone. I am in the market for a new laptop and am looking to get my first Mac. I am currently using a HP dv6000 which I've had for four years and is on it's last leg (broken hinge, hardware problems, etc.). I can't justify investing the money to fix it. Anyways, I want a Macbook Pro (Air doesn't really interest me as an optical drive IS important to me). However, I am undecided as to what specs I need. I will be using it for school (including essays, research, etc.), music, television show streaming, and movies. Maybe some light gaming. Is the base model of the MBP (13 inch) appropriate for me? Also, does everyone recommend the care plan you can add on through Apple?

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

base 13" should more then suffice. so long as your not going to be gaming a lot the base model is plenty.

3. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

You'll be fine with the base 13". Hold off on the Apple Care for the first year, you can always buy it after a year if you wish.

4. whichmbp thread starter macrumors newbie

You can buy it after a year? What kind of warranty does it come with? Just a basic hardware one?

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

You have ONLY one year to purchase AppleCare. If you buy the Mac on January 1, 2010, you could not buy AppleCare on January 3, 2011.

6. Performa636CD macrumors member

If you want to use your MBP for 4 years or more, I wouldn't recommend the 13".

7. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Why!? I'm asking as I was thinking of getting one.

8. Performa636CD macrumors member

It's easier to futureproof a 15" MBP rather than the 13" MBP.

9. d0ster macrumors regular

Can you please elaborate?

10. Performa636CD macrumors member

Graphics card, mostly. No shared graphics on either 15" MBP models and with the 15" you have the option of the 1GB graphics card.

11. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Ohh okay, fair enough.

12. whichmbp thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, good to know. I might be going with the 13" just because I'm a student and money is tight. I don't know. Obviously in the long run a 15" would be better though.

13. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

You can't really "futureproof" since you have no idea the rate at which tech will advance. I suggest to the op to just something usable and within budget. No point in overkilling the specs if they're never going to be used

14. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

The base 13" MBP seems like a good choice. Whether or not to get AppleCare depends on your budget.

15. Performa636CD macrumors member

If you're gonna replace your laptop in a few years and you're on a budget, the 15" MBP is probably not worth it. I use my laptops 4+ years before I replace them. My PB is 7 years old, runs Tiger, and I still use it regularly, but it will be replaced soon. However, if it had a better graphics card (128 or 256 instead of a measly 64MB) and the ability for more RAM I could still use it for the foreseeable future.

16. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

17. The Artemis macrumors newbie

That is last year's model, so if the OP is looking for a 2011 MBP then the 15" starts at $1529. Also consider buying the 13" MBP from Micro Center for $1000, if that deal is still available.

18. d0ster macrumors regular

Deal is still on for MC, pick up only. Will be heading down to the local MC this afternoon ;)