First time NAS Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by benjo09, Nov 19, 2013.

1. benjo09 macrumors newbie

So I'm looking to get my first NAS set up and would like some advice on what to buy.

I will be using it to store all my music, pictures and movies as well as a Time Machine backup of my Mac Book Pro and would like a 2 bay device so I can have the main drive backed up.

I will be accessing the drive with my Mac Book, Windows Laptop, Windows PC, Phone and Tablet and would like the ability to access the files from anywhere with an internet connection.

Finally is it possible for my Mac Book to have a copy of my music folder from the NAS that updates automatically whenever I'm connected to my NAS locally?

I will probably be using 2 x 2TB WD Red HDD and looking to keep the enclosure under £250.

Cheers

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

I use a Synology NAS and it does everything you listed and more. You can run the Cloud application to keep an updated copy of the Music folder on your laptop. i keep copies of my music folder on both my MacBook Pro and a Mac Mini that I use as a Media Server using the Cloud application.

My Movies and TV episodes are kept only on the NAS. However, I also have a USB drive connected to the NAS which automatically backup the Movie and TV folders over night using an application on the Synology.

Time machine on both Macbook Pro and Mac Mini use the NAS for backup. However, I exclude all media files from the TM backup.

3. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

I have the Buffalo Nas drive that is 2TB. They have an app on the App Store that you can access it from the internet. Works well.

4. benjo09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. Keep seeing Synology being mentioned as a good brand to go to. Which model do you have/recommend?

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

6. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I have tried NAS drives from Apple, Buffalo, Iomega, Seagate and Synology. I wasn't fully satisfied until I got a Synology.

The Buffalo and Iomega are very old so newer models might work better but the ones I had would fail to turn back on after power failures. There were some years where we had 10 power failures a year that were long enough to exhaust the batteries in our UPS backups. I had to go around turning things back on when the power came back on.

My experience with Apple Time Capsule was not a good one. I had a first gen model that died at 18 months. I got it replaced free but I never trusted it again.

I picked up a Seagate model that required a $20 a year subscription just to run my own ftp server in my basement for computers in my house. I think NOT! That went back to Microcenter on the very same day I bought it.

Synology drives use "DSM" software which is basically Linux. The model I have is the low end cheaper models which also happen to be lower power consumption. Mine uses 6 watts on standby and 18 watts during use. The only down side is the DS I use is Arm based so it can't simply run x86 binaries.

I keep movies and family photos on it.

7. Cbdboz macrumors regular

Cbdboz

Which synology would you Guys recommend ??

Thee are so many options, it's difficult to work out which one I would need.

For backup, storage, redundancy, use in home theatre and media distribution, access via internet..personal cloud etc. Is there a specific model that stands out above the rest...or even worth waiting for any new releases.

??

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The new DS214se seems like a winner, for a more media centric NAS the DS214play might be good.

I'm using a DS212j and I'm looking at the DS214play

9. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

While I use QNAP units (two of them), I often recommend to friends Synology as they are more in tune with hobbyists.

To find out about Synology offerings, try the site "smallnetbuilder" which reviews many NAS units. I think they give very good reports on the models reviewed, along with tests and conclusion.

If I did not have the QNAP NAS units I would either get a Synology or build one.

10. benjo09 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the help everyone. Synology looks to be the way forward but I might rethink running it Raid 1 now with Cryptolocker floating about as malware were to get onto the main drive then the secondary would write the same data. Any ideas to get around this?

11. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

deleted