First time playing with a NAS box

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dave48838, Jun 1, 2011.

1. dave48838 macrumors newbie

I'm new here so a little about me. My name is David if you couldn't guess from the user name. I'm from a little town in Michigan called Greenville, the numbers behind my name relate to that zip code. I run one of the three computer stores in town and I have been doing so for almost a year. So making my own cables, straight or crossover isn't a problem.

I have an iomega mhndhd nas box to play with today. I recovered the data off the failing 1tb seagate located inside, copied it for them and they left me with the box and dead hd.

First off I'm a PC man. The HD had a SGI XFS file system on it of which I used UFS Explorer for windows to recover the files for my client. The HD is going down hill fast so I'll toss that one and I have a new 250gb seagate to throw in. I just need to know what os (live cd), what connection (cat-5 or usb) to use, and how to set it up (what program) to work like it a nas box is made to.

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

The NAS boxes I've had experience with are accessed via a browser interface (like a router). The NAS's documentation can be found on the manufacturer's website. My suggestion is to reset it to factory settings and set it up from scratch. And the NAS itself should be able to format the HDD into whichever format it requires. They usually warn against data loss when placing an HDD inside for the first time as chances are it will need to be reformatted (unless the NAS specifically works with NTFS or HFS+ HDDs).