First Time Possible MBP Buyer, Looking for a Little Help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dementeo, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Dementeo macrumors newbie

I have been thinking about getting a mac ever since Windows let out 7, and I did not like it at all. I have used Windows all my life, but I feel that it is time to move on. I also hate dealing with virus scanners and such. They are just a big waste of time and money to me.

Anyway, I have no idea what to get. I don't want to overpay for a laptop, but I would like to get something that will last me through University. I am slowly making money every month, and I am close to the price that I think the laptop might cost, but I don't want to commit to something that I might not like. I am going to be spending a lot of money, I want to be positive that it will do what I want.

I will be using the computer for mostly Adobe Photoshop, Flash, AfterEffects, and Premier. I enjoy making little films with my friends, and it is nice to have a laptop that will do it. I don't know how what to expect from iMovie, but if it is kinda like Premier, that would be all I need. I would also like the computer for downloads, from itunes to youtube, I would like it to be overall fast.

Being new to computers and such, I have need reading for a little about it, I still don't know as much as others around here. I have also been following the other thread with other predictions, and it seems that there might be a new MBP out. If so, recommendations based on the predictions for the new specs would be nice so that I can plan for the future. Any recommendations if possible. I would also like to buy a SSD when their price goes down.

I also would like to mention that I like the 15-inch laptop, and I don't know about the 13-inch. I also would not like a 17-inch, it is a little to luggy. I have one now soo... :p Recommendations for 13-inch and 15-inch please.

Sorry for the long post. I just really don't want to get myself into something that I am going to regret.

2. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

I switched to a Mac a year ago this week. Went cold turkey and left everything M$ behind. Having used Windows and having the same problems you are having, I have never looked back. I bought a 24 inch iMac and then a 13 inch Mac Book Pro the month after.

I have to say that a year on, the only regret I have is not switching years before. I now laugh at M$ users and make a few quid fixing theirs on a regular basis.

I create vids and edit photos and have over 40 websites to look after, the Mac and OSX covers them all. I have also bought every single piece of software needed as its a whole lot cheaper to buy applications etc.

Go for it, you will not switch back.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I know I'm the exception on this site, but I prefer Windows 7. Right now the macbook pro is overpriced beyond belief for what you get. Why not just use a free virus scanner, like Microsoft Security Essentials, and spend the rest of the money you save on textbooks or beer?

4. Dementeo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both. I am kinda more confused on specs then anything. I don't really know what to get for the things that I want to do with the computer. I would like a Mac, but still might go with a Windows computer.

Anything under or around $2000 would be nice, but if I have to go higher I will for a good computer.

I also understand that MBPs are super overpriced right now, so if it is possible to get some kind of spec recommendations to run the programs without lag?

5. fawd macrumors newbie

Your not the only one... a bunch of my GFX design buddies all have MBPs... and they all use W7 as their primary OS now...