First Time PPC Owner, Got an iBook G4!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by AlexxRyzhkov, Aug 22, 2014.

1. AlexxRyzhkov macrumors regular

So I was on Shop Goodwill and I was just looking around at computers, and I saw an iBook that was currently at $10 and only had 57 minutes left. Just for the heck of it, I bid $11 and I found out that I won.
    Well after shipping and buying a charger for it, it ended up costing about $32
    I have no clue if I got a good deal or not, but hopefully it will work out.

This is my third mac computer, and it's my first PPC Mac. I used to own a 2006 iMac which I gave to my little brother, and I had an old MacBook Pro which I traded for a Windows Desktop

It says it has a 1.2 GHz G4 CPU and 1.25 Gb of Ram.

Is there anything I should do with it? Like are there any good upgrades or anything. Also what version of OS X should I use with it?
    Also any tips will be helpful

2. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

You got a pretty good deal on that one! Good job! I would upgrade the OS to OS X v.10.5 Leopard if possible. It will run well with 1.25 GB of RAM. :)

3. nineteen73 macrumors member

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Gavinstubbs09's PowerPC Archive is a great place for software. You will probably want OS X 10.5 Leopard on there.

5. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Airport issues

Just be aware if you have any kernel panic issues disable airport and keep it off. Not sure if the card or the motherboard are the issue but so far 100% of ones I have seen with issues are airport related.

6. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

If you are in a hunt for software, like Altemose said I have an entire archive in my signature and is certainly worth a look :)

Also congrats! Love my iBook G4.