First time pre-ordering/upgrading questions.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Soulsonant, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Soulsonant macrumors newbie

I know there are a billion and one topics about this, and I apologize, but I've been culling these phones to answer some of my questions, and I've not seen them answered to my knowledge.

I am upgrading to a iPhone 4, and I currently have a 3GS. Onto my questions.

-If I have my iPhone 4 sent to me, how do I transfer my contacts, photos, etc, to my new phone from my 3gs? Is that possible or do I have to do that by hand one at a time?
    -If I preorder from Apple and have the phone shipped to my home, do I have to activate it by hand by swapping SIM cards? If so, how difficult is that? Do I then need to call ATT and activate it some other way as well? I'm a bit shady on how that would work.
    -If I pre-order an iPhone through ATT instead of Apple, is it guaranteed to be at the store on the 25th, or is there a chance they will sell out and I cannot get one?
    -Since I'm selling my 3GS, is there a way to wipe all the contact information/apps/etc without clearing the jailbreak on it as well?

I apologize if I didn't search hard enough for these simple answers, but any help you smart people could confer to me would be awesome.

Thanks for your time.

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

The easiest answer is using a computer. If you sync your old phone to your computer, then your new phone to the computer... all of your contacts will transfer. It is also possible to do it one at a time by sending yourself all of the vcards via email, then saving them to the new phone after it's activated. One last idea is to check some apps out there... there might be an easy solution. Actually... do you have Mobile Me? That would do the same thing. You could even sign up for a 60 day trial and it would do this for you. :)

No swapping of SIM cards. The new phone has a micro card and it comes with it. Just follow all of the on-screen instructions.

As far as I understand, which I'd still call AT&T to verify, if you purchase from AT&T it's guaranteed to be held for you on the day of.

I've never jailbroken a phone... so I'm not really sure?

I would also suggest this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=923912

3. marddin macrumors 6502

1. If your iPhone 4 is sent to you. Just simply sync your 3GS to iTunes which will back up all your data (contacts, settings, ect.) then when you plug the iPhone 4 in you can choose to sync the old 3GS backup.

2. If your iPhone 4 is sent to you, it will come with a micro-sim already inside the phone, simple plug it into iTunes and follow the onscreen steps, its very easy.

3. If you pre-order from Apple or iTunes it is considered a reserve and yes it will be available on June 24th.

4. Only way to keep your jailbreak is wipe your contacts and everything one by one. You can restore your 3GS and try to jailbreak again.

Hope this helped!
    if i am wrong please do correct!

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

The question was about pre-ordering from AT&T. If you pre-order from AT&T it will arrive at the earliest on the 25th. IIRC, last year it took longer for some. I'm sure the earlier you order the more likely you are to get the 25th, but I don't think it's a guarantee. Perhaps someone who pre-ordered for AT&T store pickup can verify.

However, if you pre-order for home delivery, it will arrive on the 24th barring any delivery issues.

"Erase All Content and Settings" is the safest option. And yes, it breaks your jailbreak. Best thing to do is to do this anyway, go into DFU mode, factory restore, jailbreak again.

5. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I guess that's the definitive answer. I suppose I was wrong too. I apologize.

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Yeah, there was some sort of PR from AT&T on that. Pre-orders to the store arrive on the 25th. Seems odd, but that's what the PR said.

7. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Wow. Weird. I guess if I can gather the money in time, I'll be having mine sent to my home also. Saves the time of waiting in line!

8. Soulsonant thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, this was all especially helpful.

It seems like if I really want to get my phone on the 24th I should just order from the Apple Store. It sounds pretty painless and hassle free, as long as someone is here to sign for it!

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Both AT&T.com and Apple.com will deliver to your home or business on the 24th.

http://www.att.com/Common/about_us/files/iphone/preorder_fact_sheet_ip4.pdf

Still looking for the PR on the in-store pickup being the 25th. It's been posted here on MR before.

Found it:

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=18004&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=30863