Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
So my friend and I are looking to move out for the summer and the next academic year. We're just lowly students, we'll be first time renters, have low-paying research jobs and are just trying to get through school.

So. Any tips? What should we look for when we view prospective places? Where should we look for bugs/mold/etc.? Any other things to look out for? Swindles? Tricks? Anything to keep an eye out for? Basically, any and all advice, because we're essentially new to this whole thing.

What do we need to provide in terms of references and credit checks? Is contact info enough? What else are they looking for? We won't be paying for this; our respective families will be; so can we just get family members to cosign?

Thanks! Pardon my ignorance!

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
So my friend and I are looking to move out for the summer and the next academic year. We're just lowly students, we'll be first time renters, have low-paying research jobs and are just trying to get through school.

So. Any tips? What should we look for when we view prospective places? Where should we look for bugs/mold/etc.? Any other things to look out for? Swindles? Tricks? Anything to keep an eye out for? Basically, any and all advice, because we're essentially new to this whole thing.

What do we need to provide in terms of references and credit checks? Is contact info enough? What else are they looking for? We won't be paying for this; our respective families will be; so can we just get family members to cosign?

My biggest advice is get everything in writing. Do not agree to anything without having it in writing first. Any changes, get it in writing. Make sure you inspect the place before agreeing to anything, look under the refrigerator, under all cabinets, turn the faucets on and make sure the water works. If the electricity is off ask why it is off and when it will be turned on to make sure that everything is ok. The thing i am trying to convey to you is cover your a**.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
You will have to get some paper worked sign by your family basically saying if you do not pay they can go after them for the money.

But if they are paying for it any how they generally do not have a problem covering it.

munson

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2008
Boston, MA
Take Notice Of All Prior Damage!!!!! If Your Not Sure If You Should Note It....do It!!!!! Otherwise You Could Get Effed In The A!!!!

Right, photo evidence is always a plus. To be on the safe side, mail the pictures to yourself, and don't open the envelope afterward (this way, the date on the envelope proves when the pictures were taken before.

This is also known as ghetto copyright, for anyone looking to protect themselves.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Right, photo evidence is always a plus. To be on the safe side, mail the pictures to yourself, and don't open the envelope afterward (this way, the date on the envelope proves when the pictures were taken before.

This is also known as ghetto copyright, for anyone looking to protect themselves.

You mean print the photos and mail them to myself?

That's a nifty trick. Date the envelope and keep it sealed.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto

Are you looking in the GTA? there are tons of resources to help you in your search (viewit.ca for one is great), and I'm sure your school has some sort of posting of places available for rent. Having a general look around will help determine a good average for prices in the areas you are interested in.

When actually looking at places (never. ever. rent a place unseen.) ask all the questions you can. Things like what's included in the rent (if utilities are extra Hydro can give you information on the average bi-monthly bill), pest problems, noise around the neighbourhood etc.

You are probably going to be asked for a few references, and some big apartment complexes might do a credit check, but most will ask for first and last months rent up front and then posted dated cheques for the first year. If they ask for anything more, it's a good idea to walk away from that place.

Also if they do ask for a years worth of post dated cheques be sure to record the cheque numbers so that if you have to stop payment on them you know which ones they have.

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
It says you are in Toronto, so i'd say price out places based on if heat is included. The few apartments i've been in have terrible windows and insulation, so if its a matter between one for $XXX/month and then heat, or $XXX + YY to have heat included, i'd go with the one included, since they are usually worse off than a normal home, since they are rented to many different people. Or you can just get one above someone else and home the floor insulation is bad :D , you can tell if you can hear them downstairs easily, which could be a downside. Mold, check by windows and stuff, see if new paneling has been added over the original stuff, and by water pipes.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Hm... You're right... Though, will USPS mail an unsealed envelope?

The USPS will mail just about anything.

I recall a guy doing an experiment where he tested the limits of what they would do, like writing an address on a football with a Sharpie and putting a bunch of stamps on it. It was frankly amazing what they'd deliver.

munson

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2008
Boston, MA
The USPS will mail just about anything.

I recall a guy doing an experiment where he tested the limits of what they would do, like writing an address on a football with a Sharpie and putting a bunch of stamps on it. It was frankly amazing what they'd deliver.

That's a bit... unsettling. Well, disregard my idea from before then, haha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.