First time replacing hard drive. Need some advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pennylane6, Dec 9, 2014.

1. Pennylane6 macrumors newbie

Hi guys. I have a mid 2009 MacBook Pro (the first aluminum body one). It's been staying on the white screen with the apple for hours. A computer guy told me that it's my hard drive that needs to be replaced. I'm really poor right now so I'm replacing it myself- I've never done this nor fixed anything inside my mac before (other than my computer engineering friend opened it once to replace some bad ram). So I'm doing a lot of research so I can do this right, it doesn't seem terribly hard. What kind of hard drive should I use??? I am scared to miss some little detail and that will not be compatible for my macbook. I've read some people having trouble with the hitachi travel star bc they possibly got the wrong version. I am definitely looking for 500GB. 2.5 " I THINK it's a SATA? Let me know if there is anything I should check, or if you have links to suggestions.

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Go to OtherWorld Computing's site to see what hard drives they have. Their site is pretty good for matching the right drive with your MBP. They also have the tools available for purchase to help replace the drive.

FWIW, it took me maybe 5 minutes to unscrew all the screws, replace the HD and put everything back. They have some online videos to walk you through the process.

3. jsagurton macrumors member

Just a thought, but depending on your storage requirements, you may also be able to update to a smaller SSD for a similar or only slightly higher price that will give you some extra performance and keep your Mac feeling more modern for a few more years.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

OP wrote above:
    [[ I'm really poor right now so I'm replacing it myself...]]

My advice:
    If you're that poor, I suggest that you consider the 240gb size instead of 500gb -- it will save you considerable money.

Don't know where you are in the world, but this might be worth consideration:
    http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-I...8&qid=1418226598&sr=1-1&keywords=crucial+m500
    (disclaimer: no financial interest in above link)

Swapping out the drive in a MacBook Pro is "easy peasy" (at least it was in my April-2010 MBPro).

One VERY IMPORTANT caution:
    BE SURE you have THE RIGHT TOOLS for the job!
    On mine, these were a Phillips #00 screwdriver and a TORX T-6.
    DO NOT try to use the wrong size!
    These tools are inexpensive and can be easily found.

For "how to do it", I suggest you take a look at ifixit.com for the instruction guide. Well illustrated and it will "guide you though" the entire process.

5. Pennylane6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wait, now I am more confused. I bought the hard drive already online. I am waiting for it to arrive. I bought a kit that comes with screws and a USB enclosure to clone my hard drive but, I don't why I didn't think of this before hand! How can I even clone my hard drive if I can't turn on my computer! Does this mean I lost everything on my mac?

6. Pennylane6 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am able to get to Mac OS X utilities when I hold command R. It gives me options like restore from time machine, reinstall Mac OS X, and disk utility (repair/erase a disk using disk utility). Will this help me clone my hard drive. At the very least help me clone the system without my pics/ files etc ?

7. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I'd advise reinstalling OSX and then copying over what you need from the previous hard drive in the external enclosure. Seems like the easiest way at this point, and you'll have access to all the data.

8. Pennylane6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Freyqq. Ok. I will try to do that when I get the USB enclosing. Maybe I should have chosen expedited shopping, but I chose the regular one... So do you have any advice for what I should do to my laptop in the meantime? I have it turned off, will it get worst or be the same when I turn it on again in a week (when the kits arrives)

9. ramram55 macrumors 6502

Download super duper from internet. Once the hd comes in and put in the enclosure, then run super duper to clone the internal drive. To test the external drive work, pressing the command key, when you hear the starting sound on your computer. If it runs okay. Do the replacement work, take out the old HD and replace new one should be easy.
    Make sure you high light the new Hd name on Start up disk ( access by System Preference when you click on apple menu).
    That should do it, get the SSD drive as someone suggested, should not be that hard to do all the replacing work.