First time seeing *this* in person...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by phungy, Aug 24, 2007.

1. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

in one of my psych class there was a guy with a Dell laptop, he was running OSX :eek:.

Researching a bit more I found that Osx86 can be installed to run OSX on PCs. Leopard has been successfully installed and has ran fine on PCs too.

Makes me want to get a Lenovo X61s now cause those are ~2 lbs.

2. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I have seen it in the past as well. However topics like this often don't last long, they get wastelanded in a hurry.

3. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

It requires some hacking of the OS.

It is also illegal. You should report that to apple! No apple fan steals from apple! It is just wrong.

The Stig

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Haven't every seen on in person...and I don't really want to.

OS X is so great because of the hardware is on...atleast thats part of the reason.

I'd hate to see OS X if Apple had to support so many other 3rd party things

5. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

Not illegal, just against the EULA. Apple would have to sue the person for breaching the agreement.

6. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

You're sure it wasn't something like flyakiteosx? There's one good way I like to test this: hold down cmd+opt+ctrl+8. Ask to look at it for a sec and press those equivalents on his Dell, then hand it back to him and tell him it broke because it was illegal or something like that, if you want, that is :D

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A friend installed it on his Sempron-based tower and I'm sorry to say the the UI performance was faster than my MBP :(

8. macjay macrumors 6502

Just curious -- what's the difference b/w illegal and against the EULA? And did you mean "sue" the person?

9. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

i really think its something like flyakiteosx...i have it on my windows pc and it looks exactly like osx10.4. ask him:eek:

10. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

There is no law saying I cannot install Mac OS X on non Apple Hardware. The police cannot arrest me and throw me in jail for installing Mac OS X on my Windows Box. If it were illegal then the police could do this to me.

The EULA is an agreement between me an Apple outlining what I can and cannot do with the OS (such as publicizing the work as my own). If I go against this it is up to Apple to take me to court and seek compensations.

And yes I did mean "sue the person."