iPad mini First time tablet: Convince me to get an Ipad Mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JainaSJedi, Mar 21, 2013.

1. JainaSJedi macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm in the market for a 3G/4G device and it's come down to a Galaxy Tab or an Ipad Mini. I need an unlocked model as I plan to travel to Australia later this year. I also need it to work on Verizon's data network in the U.S. as that's the only network that works in Yellowstone, where I will be working this summer. I have an older ipod touch and am familiar with IOS as opposed to Android.

My main problem with the Apple devices is the limited storage capacity of 64 GB. I don't use Cloud services and am not interested in them. I need files stored locally for a 14-hour flight. That's why the Galaxy tablets are appealing; they have expandable storage.

I would also like to sideload content like movies, ebooks, music, etc.. without using itunes. Is there a way to just drag/drop files onto an Ipad? Or do you need to jailbreak to do this? Adding a bunch of movies/tv shows to Itunes is a painstaking long process in order to transfer them to the iOS device.

I really want to get an Ipad mini, and if there are some workarounds (file managers), I may go ahead and get one. Otherwise, does anyone have experience using both devices. Which one would fit my needs better?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

If those are your needs/wants, then you need a Galaxy Tab. Sorry.

3. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

If you jailbreak, which will be impossible soon although not yet (because most minis on shelves are still on 6.1.2 at the moment), you can install iFile which is a good system. If you want to be able to drag files and drop them into the iPad, download iFunbox to your Mac or pc and you'll be able to do that.

4. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

Maybe it's not what you wanted to hear but you should go for the Galaxy Tab. The work arounds for your requirements will be too long winded. It makes sense going for the Tab as it'll do what you want it to do, out of the box.

5. shootingrubber macrumors 6502

My response will differentiate than other posters previously.

What do you have that's more than 64GB that you could need for a 14 hour flight? I take 7 hour flights all the time and I have a 16 GB Mini and have no issues.

Drag and drop is much less convenient IMHO. I was considering a Nexus 7 until I realized that that was what you'd have to do to transfer content. Clunky and no previews of what it would look like.

With iOS you get basically exactly what your library will look like on iTunes before you click sync. Oh, and its an awesome content and music manager. Drag and drop is more of a hassle than a convenience. You can still drag and drop content into iTunes, not directly with the device though. iTunes makes it easy to keep your library uniform across multiple devices. Much harder to do with other offerings out there that are not made by Apple.

6. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Try something like the Airstash or Kingston Wi-Drive with a 16GB iPad. Solves your problems. You can use those with other devices too.

7. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

I use FlexPlayer to sideload videos onto my iPad. Just out of interest, why the resistance to using iTunes for your music and ebooks though?

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Galaxy Tab is quite outdated. Especially if you're referring to the 7"/8" model. You'll be running a very dated version of Android.

It sounds like you will be using your tablet for entertainment purposes. For that, I recommend the iPad mini. Transferring files to and from the iPad mini isn't exactly plug'n'play and drag'n'drop. But there are apps that help streamline the process. If you have/use a Mac, I suggest downloading Instashare. Think of it as an expanded version of AirDrop. If you're on a PC, iTunes is the best option. Jailbreaking it opens up a variety of file transferring options though.

9. JainaSJedi, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

JainaSJedi thread starter macrumors newbie

I really like having a ton of video located on one device, but maybe I'm old fashioned.

It's more for the video that's the headache. The music organization is really good. For ebooks, I have used Stanza synced with Calibre to transfer ebooks. I used to make video playlists with my older Ipod video, but it doesn't seem as easy to do with IOS devices. My 'video' playlists show up under the music button on the IOS homescreen. Does Flexplayer allow you to organize your videos into playlists or folders?

That's the problem with the Galaxy Tab 7.7. It's been out for a while.

You're right, My main use is going to be as a media player and later to manage my international travels.

In the end, where is the best place to purchase a Verizon ipad mini to avoid shipping costs and sales tax?

10. raccoonboy macrumors 6502a

11. JainaSJedi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the heads-up on these. One of these will solve my problem. I think I'll go for the 32 or 64 GB Verizon ipad mini. Thanks for all the advice!

12. French macrumors regular

I see you have made a decision so perhaps this will just make you feel better about it...I just spent 5 days with my dad while he recovers from surgery and wanted to make sure I had enough content with me to keep me from going nuts. I have 20 movies, an entire season of Scandal in HD, a National Geographic, 3 People Magazines and 2 Good Housekeeping magazines, plus 3 or 4 other magazines in Zinio, as well as countless games. I also have several books through the Kindle application. I don't use my mini for music at all. And I still have 10 gigs left on my 64 gig iPad Mini.

For entertainment, especially games, I think iOS still has Android beat. For movie content, I just convert things with Handbrake and import into iTunes. I can then sync wirelessly with my computer.

And maybe I'm wrong about this (haven't tested it) but I thought you could use a camera kit thingie to copy movies from a memory card to the iPad. They just have to be in the DCIM folder. If that's true then at least you'd have way to get your movies onboard and skip iTunes completely.

Also the suggested wi-drive...some of the drives now have up to 10 hours battery life which is the same as on the mini. Honestly you should not run out of content on a 14-hour flight even without a wi-drive...but you can't go wrong if you include one.

13. jg900ss macrumors newbie

jg900ss

Verizon, and Australia? Sounds like a carrier incompatibility....perhaps?

I am all for all the options above on storage for media. I have an iPad, and use the Gauntlet, AND Kingston WiFi drives for carrying extra media with me. No problem.

What I seem to be reading is another issue. You want a VERIZON iPad, but you want it unlocked so it will work in Australia. To my knowledge, (I could be wrong), Australia is using the GSM standard, like Europe, and Verizon is on the CDMA standard. It might be wise to check this FIRST before you get focused on the storage and media side of the purchase. Just checking.....

http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html

14. TheBozo macrumors newbie

TheBozo

storage = galaxy
    experience = iPad

i prefer experience.

15. roberc567 macrumors newbie

Can anyone verify that the process above using a camera kit would work - ie, neither an additional computer nor iTunes would be required to transfer video files (MP4) from a memory card directly to an iPad ? Thanks.