First Time Time Capsule User - A Quick Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bokser, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Bokser Guest

Hi guys!

Just received the 500gb time capsule, like the way it looks and had no problem setting it up :)

However a few questions have come to me:

1) The first backup was very slow, yes I know it is supposed to be slow - but I checked (via Activity monitor) and the peak speed I got was only 2.79 megabytes/sec is it normal?

2) I am using Leopard 10.5.4 with the latest updates on MacBook Pro, I have used up 80gb of my harddrive space, however when I check after the capsule completed its "initial" and first backup - the size of data on it is only 34gb! Where are the missing files and how do I know what it backed up and what is not backed up yet...?

3) Also, now I am downloading a video collection on Transmission (torrents) which will come to about 30gb - they are not finished yet, at about 60%, will the Time Capsule back the temporary files too , or will they be copied only when the transfer completes?

Thanks so much guys - beer is on me :apple::)

2. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I don't know what will happen with the torrents--I'm sure TC doesn't know them from any other file and would back them up, but in what state? They are constantly changing. (I've wondered that about other files too.)

As for space--TC doesn't back up certain caches and temporary files--but that's a BIG difference I can't explain. Memory swap space is one big thing that occupies drive space without getting backed up, but still, that seems odd.

And as for speed--I got a LOT of variation in big backups. Sometimes it would go really fast, sometimes not. I finally decided not to think about it, and it got done :eek: You can of course do what you can to improve bandwidth: use WiFi n, set it to 5Ghz wide, keep the machine and the Airport near each other, don't back up 2 machines at the same time, etc.

3. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

An aardvark COULD NOT eat a shark

Please delete. Wrong thread!

4. Bokser thread starter Guest

If my suspicions are right - then Time Capsule doesn't backup the Torrent files until they are completed? - Anyone has a confirmation for this?

As for speed - how do I change the settings to N & 5Ghz? isn't it the default for the connection that was established between Macbook pro and TC?

Thanks for the answer, nagromme!