First time trying to create a chart in Numbers and I'm lost

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nitromaster, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

Hi
    Got Numbers 08 installed, never really used it as didn't have a need. Created a spreadsheet the last day with some survey results for a project and saved it.

My spreadsheet looks like:
    (A1-Grey) - Sex - Age - Multiple choice question
    (Blank-Grey) - Male - 30 - Answer1
    (Blank-Grey) - Female - 25 -Answer2

etc
    with a blank column on the left that's grey and the top heading thing being grey .
    Bit lost though with turning say the "Multiple choice question" column into a pie-chart (or any sort of chart tbh)
    I choose the header and all the 30 or so replies in that column and select chart -> pie-chart.
    It presents me with a pie-chart "Chart1" with just blue - 100% and the legend stating : blue - Untitled 1.
    How would I go about making the chart with the data i need? (i know i'm selecting it wrong or have it laid out wrong or something) or editing a chart manually.

Thanks

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

While I can't tell you specifically how to what you want to do with charts, I will suggest you open the Numbers "Help" menu (an overlooked resource in all Apple programs and many others as well) and take a look there. One of the main selections is "Adding Charts, Graphics and Other Objects". Under that are several chart topics, such as "About Charts", "Adding Charts" etc.

3. emt1 macrumors 65816

I have no idea what you're trying to describe... post a screenshot.

4. Nitromaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Figured out how to do this. Didn't select anything in created a chart. Then manually counted the number of results for each answer and entered it in.

Thanks