First time upgrading an iPhone, SIM question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by airner, Oct 13, 2011.

1. airner macrumors newbie

Oct 13, 2011
    So I am upgrading from 3G to 4GS, will be delivered tomorrow but I have a question about the sim card. Someone said that I will still have to go into the AT&T store tomorrow because the SIM cards are different sizes. Does this sound right? I ordered through Apple, and I don't want to have to go into the store. Will the new phone come with a new SIM, and is there anyway to activate it myself?
  2. DPOIFVet macrumors newbie

Oct 5, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    I unfortunately am not upgrading from a 3G (I currently have a 4). I was talking to my friend who works at AT&T and she said that all I will have to do is to call in, they'll help activate the new phone and then sync it with iTunes once and everything should transfer over.

I hope this helps :)
  3. airner thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 13, 2011
    Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can just call in as well, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope. UGH, I can't even imagine what the store lines and wait time on the phone will be like tomorrow.
  4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

Jul 14, 2010
    Phila, PA
    The iPhone 4S will come with a preinstalled sim card that is already tied to your number. No need to go to AT&T tomorrow.
  5. am17 macrumors member

Jul 5, 2009
    If you updated with your own line, you should be able to just activate the phone through iTunes and not have to deal with AT&T at all. I think the only people that have to call/go to AT&T are those who upgraded their phones on their mom's/brother's/etc. line and need to have the sims switched.
  6. airner thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 13, 2011
    Perfect! Does that go for phones ordered through Apple and not AT&T as well? Mine and my wifes 3G's were both upgraded on their own lines.