First time upgrading an iPhone, SIM question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by airner, Oct 13, 2011.

1. airner macrumors newbie

So I am upgrading from 3G to 4GS, will be delivered tomorrow but I have a question about the sim card. Someone said that I will still have to go into the AT&T store tomorrow because the SIM cards are different sizes. Does this sound right? I ordered through Apple, and I don't want to have to go into the store. Will the new phone come with a new SIM, and is there anyway to activate it myself?

2. DPOIFVet macrumors newbie

I unfortunately am not upgrading from a 3G (I currently have a 4). I was talking to my friend who works at AT&T and she said that all I will have to do is to call in, they'll help activate the new phone and then sync it with iTunes once and everything should transfer over.

I hope this helps :)

3. airner thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. Hopefully I can just call in as well, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope. UGH, I can't even imagine what the store lines and wait time on the phone will be like tomorrow.

4. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

The iPhone 4S will come with a preinstalled sim card that is already tied to your number. No need to go to AT&T tomorrow.

5. am17 macrumors member

If you updated with your own line, you should be able to just activate the phone through iTunes and not have to deal with AT&T at all. I think the only people that have to call/go to AT&T are those who upgraded their phones on their mom's/brother's/etc. line and need to have the sims switched.

6. airner thread starter macrumors newbie

Perfect! Does that go for phones ordered through Apple and not AT&T as well? Mine and my wifes 3G's were both upgraded on their own lines.